Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366920.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Sep-2020 at 18:22:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


BICTON C.P. SJ 41 NW 5/37 MONTFORD BRIDGE Montford Bridge 29.1.52 GV II Bridge. 1790-2 (dated 1792), Thomas Telford Engineer. Parapet altered in 1963. Red sandstone ashlar. Three elliptical arches, each with chamfered voussoirs, raised keystones and chamfered-rusticated extrados. Arches divided by wide pilaster strips and semi-circular cutwaters with plinths and band to domed tops. Balustrade to widened footpaths of 1963. C18 wing walls curve out to circular end piers. When the C18 parapet was rebuilt the datestone above the central arch was resited adjoining the south-east end pier; inscribed: "MDCCXCII". The bridge carries the Holyhead Road over the River Severn.

This was Telford's first bridge built when he was County Surveyor of Bridges for Shropshire. Telford's estimate was for £5,800. The stone was provided by John Lowden and John Brown from Lord Bradford's quarry at Nesscliffe. Mathew Davidson of Langholm was employed to superintend the work, John Simpson of Shrewsbury was employed as mason, and the contract for building the bridge was awarded to John Carline and John Tilley of Shrewsbury. In the years after 1817 Telford was the engineer for the Holyhead Road improvements.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23 March 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Blackwall, A, Historic Bridges of Shropshire, (1985), 24-26
Bracegirdle, B, Miles, P, Thomas Telford, (1973), 18
Colvin, H, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1995), 187 and 821
Rolt, L T C, Thomas Telford, (1958), 31


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01611/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Percy Marsh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].