CHURCH OF ST MARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1366951
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366951.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 23:07:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chirbury with Brompton
National Grid Reference:
SJ2887002602

Details

SJ 20 SE 4/60 21.3.68

CHIRBURY C.P. MARTON Church of St. Mark

GV II

Chapel of ease, now parish church. 1855 with later alterations. Regularly coursed limestone and shale rubble.with ashlar dressings, machine tile roofs. Nave with west bellcote, chancel, north porch and south vestry; lancet style. Nave: buttressed in 3 bays with lancets, paired to east and west bays on north and south respectively; west window of paired lancets with quatrefoil above, stone bellcote; west bay on north has gabled timber porch on low stone walls. Short chancel in 2 bays with paired cusped lancets to west bay on north and east window of 3 lancets with cusped quatrefoil above; lean-to vestry on south in angle with nave. Interior: very plain with trussed rafter roofs to nave and chancel, pointed chancel arch. Stained glass in east window, 1903. Marton parish was formed from part of Chirbury in 1859. Included for group value. D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905) p.550.

Listing NGR: SJ2887002602

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257385
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 550

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/14030/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].