CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1366983
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1366983.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:14:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Worthen with Shelve
National Grid Reference:
SJ 34092 01489

Details

WORTHEN C.P. HOPE SJ 30 SW

5/134 Church of Holy - Trinity 21.3.68 - II

Parish church. 1843 by Edward Haycock. Uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; machine tile roof has coped verges and plain corbel table. Nave with west bellcote, chancel, south porch and north vestry; lancet style. Nave: buttressed in 5 bays, broad lancets with hoodmoulds and continuous moulded cill band; gabled porch in second bay from west on south and gabled bellcote with twin pointed bell openings over 3-light west window; gabled vestry in second bay from west on north. Short one-bay chancel; broad lancet with hoodmould on south; east window similar to west window of nave but with hoodmoulds. Interior: multi-strutted collar and tie beam roof like that at Church of Holy Trinity, Middleton, Chirbury C.P. (q.v.); otherwise very plain, main feature -of interest being west gallery supported on 2 cast- iron columns; plain pointed chancel arch. Majority of fittings and furnishings including stained glass in east window (1867) are late C19. The church is set in a picturesque churchyard and is approached by a small wooden bridge (not included in this list) over a stream to south. B.O.E. p.152; D. H. S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 7 (1905) p.549.

Listing NGR: SJ3409201489

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
257465
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 549
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 152

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16783/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].