Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CLUNTON MILL (DISUSED)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1367026.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2019 at 10:17:28.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 33410 81188


CLUNBURY C.P. CLUNTON SO 38 SW 3/74 Clunton Mill (disused) - GV II

Mill, now disused. Probably early C19 with later additions and alterations. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with red brick dressings and red brick on upper level to rear; slate roof. Main rectangular block with full-length outshut to rear housing wheel. 3 levels. Stable door to left and casement to right; segmental-headed window on each floor to right gable end. Circular iron ties. Outshut has segmental arch to mill race to left. Interior: remarkable survival of equipment. Undershot wheel has iron axle and wooden spokes and paddles; cogs for sluice gate adjoining. Ground floor of main building has stone-flag floor and massive plain cross beam. Ladder staircase to first floor. Corn bin to right and chute from later flour dresser to left. Gearing connected to millstones on first floor behind weather- boarded partition to right. Secondary wheel attached to main wheel. Apart from 2 millstones in situ first floor has pulleys for lifting gear. Late C19 or early C20 flour dresser in cupboard-like structure to left. Has notice attached (dated 1904 from Shropshire County Council Public Health Department) warning of the dangers of spreading consumption from spitting on floors and walls. Heavy plain cross beam and ladder staircase to second floor, which has more chutes and pulleys. Roof structure in 2 bays. The mill which was used to grind corn, stopped working commercially in 1936 and completely in 1938. The infilled mill pond lies immediately to west.

Listing NGR: SO3341081188


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12455/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].