Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1367031.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:53:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Daventry (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 75809 74557


LAMPORT HIGH STREET SP77SE (North side) 10/71 Church of All Saints 03/11/54


Church. Late C12, C13 and C17 to C19. Architects William Smith and J. Bodley. Limestone and lias ashlar and squared coursed lias with lead roof. Aisled nave, chancel and south chapel and west tower. Chancel rebuilt by William Smith of Warwick commencing 1737 along with the outer walls of the nave and the aisles. South elevation of one-window range, has 2 -light C18 window with thick Y-tracery. 3-light Venetian east window with Doric pilasters. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar parapet. South vestry by Bodley 1879 has 2-light east windows with reticulated tracery. Lean-to roof with decorated corbels. North chapel added to the medieval church in 1672 by Henry Jones of Walgrave for Sir Justinion Isham probably to designs by J. Webb. East window of 2-lights with transom and segmental pediment on corbels over. Blocked north door with rusticated head. Rusticated quoins. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. South aisle of 2-window range of 3-light C18 windows with thick Y-tracery. Similar 2-light west window. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. South porch to left C18 by Smith; plain arch opening has rusticated surround with pediment over. Small roundels in flanking side walls. C19 outer doors with close lattice pattern; inner are 6-panelled double doors. North aisle similar to south of 3-window range. C18 windows. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar cornice and finial. West tower late C12 of 2 stages with C13 clasping buttresses to lower stage. Blocked west door. 2-light C13 bell chamber openings with quatrefoil above to each face of second stage. Castellated parapet. Shallow pyramid roof with weather vane. Interior; Chancel, 3-bay arcade to north chapel of semi-circular arches on square piers with moulded cornices. Plasterwork by John Woolston of Northampton. Cartouches between arches, fine Rococo ceiling with central pendant and dentilled cornice. Reredos below east window of 3 panels divided by plasterwork swags and cherubs. Reflecting pilasters between the windows. Double chamfered chancel and tower arches. Nave has 3-bay arcade of double chamfered C13 pointed arches with octagonal piers. Flat ceiling with plasterwork by John Woolston is of 3 roundels, centre with eye of God, flanked by doves. Royal arms of George II in plaster relief above chancel arch. Pulpit has C18 fielded panelling. Communion rail with turned balusters, probably mid C18. Font with tall wooden cover by Bodley c.1869. Monuments: Left of altar Mrs. Jane Isham died 1638: inscribed tablet with 3 putti and 3 wreaths at the top by Thomas Stanton. Inscribed tablet above to John Isham (infant) died 1638. North wall of north chapel left Sir Justian Isham 1700 by William Stanton. Tablet with twisted columns and segmental pediment above. North wall right: Elizabeth Isham died 1713 by Edward Stanton with fluted pilasters with putti flanking coat of arms above. West wall, Sir Justinion Isham died 1730 by Francis Smith: Tablet in varigated marbles with fluted pilasters and broken pediment over. North wall centre, Sir Justinian died 1737, by Schemakers: bust on large plinth with volutes to left and right. Large arcaded surround with heraldic devices. firs, Raynsford died 1763 by W. Cox on east wall originally at Faxton church. East wall of north aisle, John Isham died 1811 by Henry Westmancott. Various C19 and C20 tablets to Isham family including Sir Gyles died 1976. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.285).

Listing NGR: SP7580974557


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 285


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10339/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].