This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1367373



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Selattyn and Gobowen

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Sep-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255737

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SELATTYN AND GOBOWEN C.P. BROGYNTYN PARK SJ 23 SE 4/24 Brogyntyn Hall (formerly listed as Brogyntyn 19.1.52 House) GV II* Shown on O.S. map as Brogyntyn. Country house. 1814 (date on rainwater heads) remodelling by Benjamin Gummow for Mary Jane Ormsby and her husband, William Gore of house of 1735-6 by Francis Smith for William Owen; later additions and alterations. Stuccoed red brick with Coade stone to pediment of sandstone ashlar portico; hipped slate roof with open well and rendered ridge stacks. Greek Revival style facades encasing an early C18 house of 9 x 5 bays. 2 storeys and attic with plain first-floor cill band, moulded eaves cornice, parapet and balustrade; cellar continued as semi-basement to right return. 9-bay entrance front, centre 3 bays under large projecting tetrastyle portico with unfluted Ionic columns supporting pediment and with embedded antae behind. Pediment with floral scrolls and Harlech family coat-of-arms to centre and inscription "IN HOC SIGNO VINCES" to garland. Glass panelled door in plain pilastered wood surround and coffered ceiling to portico. Glazing bar sashes (18-paned to ground floor and blind to upper right) in moulded architraves, which have project- ing stone lintels to ground floor; C19 hip-roofed dormers, one to left and 2 to right of pediment. 5-bay left return has 2 prominent canted bay windows (front probably c.1906) to ground floor. Low canted bay projection to rear of left return has datestone "1825" with intersecting circular patterns to balustrade. Single-storey service range behind dated 1906, which is probably also the date of the canted bay window to the 1825 addition. Right return in 13 bays has 2-storey canted bay to left and external lateral stack to right. Lower service range to rear, dated 1870 on rainwater head, has similar decoration to balustrade as that to 1825 addition. Mounting blocks attached to outer columns of portico. Interior. Entrance hall has elaborately carved wooden overmantel dated 1617 with grotesque figures and armorial shields probably from earlier house on site. Moulded doorcases with 6-panel double doors to left and right lead to 2 principal rooms, left with decoration of c.1906. Festooned garlands to frieze and modillioned moulded cornice; enriched coffered ceiling and panelled dado. Broken pedimented surrounds to front windows and fluted pilasters with Corinthian capitals to canted bay; pilastered glass- fronted cupboard with semi-circular tympanum to right of elaborately carved fireplace in back wall. Right room is lined with C19 bookcases and has 2 broken pedimented surrounds to front windows. Library in left return and rectangular lantern to 1825 addition. Entrance hall has round-headed arches to left and right in back wall, former leading through C20 glazed door to corridor of 3 domed bays with floral decoration to pendentives, latter now blocked but originally leading to staircase. This is of open well type and of 1735-6, now lit by a C19 octagonal lantern with panelling and palmette decoration to sides; frieze and modillioned cornice to top. The staircase has 3 balusters to each tread, one fluted, one turned and one irontwist, grouped together to bottom around fluted Doric column-like baluster; wreathed handrail ramped to top of each flight with ball finials to newels, carved pendants and open string; fluted pilasters to panelled dado. C19 panelled doors and marble fireplaces with cast-iron grates throughout to first floor. Panelled window shutters to ground floor. John Wagstaff, carpenter and joiner of Daventry, worked here under Smith. B.o.E. pp. 84-5; Colvin (1978) pp. 369, 751, 859; Francis Leach, The Country Seats of Shropshire (1891) pp. 129-33.

Listing NGR: SJ2792431138

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 369 751
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 859
Leach, F, The County Seats of Shropshire, (1891)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 84-5
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

National Grid Reference: SJ 27924 31138


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1367373 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 11:33:19.

End of official listing