Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1367569.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 16:48:39.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Quatt Malvern
National Grid Reference:
SO 75624 88206




GV II* Village church sited opposite the early C18 former dower house of the Wolryche family, whose monuments dominate the church. C12 origins; C15 N arcade, thorough rebuilding of 1763, including nave, outer wall of N aisle and tower. N chapel largely rebuilt in the 1950s to the designs of Stephen Dykes Bower, who also designed altar rails, pews and an organ loft. Chancel rubble masonry, some squared, NE chapel ashlar, the 1760s phase Flemish bond brick with rusticated stone quoins; tiled roofs. Plan of nave, chancel, N aisle, NE chapel, W tower/porch including stair to the organ gallery.

EXTERIOR: The chancel has angle buttresses and a 3-light E window with Perpendicular style tracery. Two 3-light S windows to the chancel with cusped lights. The S side of the chancel has a narrow round-headed doorway and evidence of a blocked round-headed window. The NE chapel has a NE buttress flush with the N wall of the church and a 1950s E window; 2 Decorated style traceried windows and a tall 3-light window with cusped lights to match those on the S side of the chancel. The remainder of the church is brick with windows with freestone frames with keyblocks and sill brackets. The N aisle and S side of the nave have opposed blind doorways to the W. 2 round-headed windows to the N aisle and the nave, the N aisle has a W end oculus window. The W wall of the aisle has a platband that extends round the tower, which is 3-stage with a moulded stone eaves cornice below the parapet which has pinnacles with ball finials. There are oculus belfry windows to each face, a clock face on the N side and a combined doorway/round-headed window on the W face with a plain oculus above.

INTERIOR: Rich in fittings of different periods and dominated by monuments of the Wolryche family. Plastered walls. Plain, narrow 1760s round-headed chancel arch on responds with capitals and similar arch from the N aisle into the N chapel. 3-bay N arcade with hollow chamfered octagonal piers with capitals and double quadrant mouldings to the 4-centred arches. The easternmost pier, which has been cut back and reduced in width has a curious abutment with the chancel W wall to provide a hagioscope between the nave and the NE chapel. 4-bay 3-truss king post and truss nave roof. This is very substantial with 2 tiers of purlins and no ridge and looks surprisingly early for 1763. Very fine chancel roof dated to the C14 in the church guide. It is uncollared with deeply-moulded rafters, a moulded wallplate and divided into panels by moulded cross ribs and into very small sub-panels by moulded sub-ribs. The lean-to roof of the N chapel is also medieval. The N aisle has a flat plastered ceiling. Reredos made up of pieces from a late medieval rood screen. Late C17 communion rails with turned balusters. 1860 encaustic tiles to the chancel. The choir has a dado of C17 panelling. C19 choir stalls with poppyhead ends and traceried frontals. Large C12 font with a circular bowl and a cable moulding above the stem. Early C17 polygonal pulpit with a carved text and carved blind round-headed arches. There is a freestanding timber lectern made up of Jacobean woodwork including an inscription and date of 1639. Good quality 1950s nave benches and fine Neo-classical W gallery with a frontal of fielded panels. Fine monument to Francis Wolryche, d. 1614 and his wife on the N side of the chancel. This has recumbent effigies in alabaster on a chest decorated with kneeling children. Spectacular monument in the N aisle to Mary Wolryche, d.1678 with a reclining female figure holding a lute on a chest below an inscription panel flanked by barleysugar columns and an open segmental pediment. 2 large stone chests with black marble lids in the N aisle commemorate Sir Thomas Wolryche, d. 1668 and Sir Francis, d.1689. c. 1707 marble Wolryche monument in the NE chapel with an inscription panel under a sarcophagus, crowned with a pediment. Unusual c. late 1920s plaque in the chancel to Henry Bazeley Wolryche-Whitmore, inspired by illuminated manuscripts and framed with gilded gesso. There are numerous other wall plaques to the family. Stained glass includes a Kempe window in the choir, an E window by Clayton and Bell and 2 matching early C20 window in the nave with classical detail to match the architecture of the windows.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: St Andrew's is of more than special interest primarily for the richness and quality of its fittings and monuments in a church that, externally, combines some early fabric, plus a major 1763 brick phase including tower and N aisle walls.

Sources Labouchere, R., Swift, K., The Parish Church of St Andrew, Quatt, 1995. Pevsner, Shropshire, 1958, 233-234.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16955/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Summers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].