CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1367780
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1367780.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 02:57:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Idbury
National Grid Reference:
SP 23612 20041

Details

IDBURY CHURCH STREET SP22SW (North side) 6/103 Church of St. Nicholas 27.8.57 GV I

Parish church. C12, remodelled and extended C14 with late C19 restoration. Uncoursed limestone rubble; stone slate and lead roofs with stepped coped verges and moulded parapets. Nave and chancel with bellcote at junction; north aisle; north-west tower and south porch. Tower. At west end of and incorporated into north aisle. Late C14 in 3 stages (roughcast to lower stages on west) with stepped angle buttresses to north-west corner, moulded string courses (lowest at eaves level of north aisle) and embattled parapet with gargoyles on north and south sides. Belfry has stone slate-louvred 2-light pointed cusped windows with quatrefoils to apex and hoodmoulds. North side has narrow rectangular window immediately above string course to third stage. West side has pointed doorway with apparently truncated cusped 3-light pointed window directly above; narrow round-headed window to second stage. Nave. South side has moulded cornice of former eaves line broken to left by tall square-headed late C15 window with 2 cinquefoil-headed lights and by similar window of 3 lights to right. Fixed to wall to left of left window is memorial to John Wilts (d.1798) with carved head of angel to top. Above cornice are 4 late C15 clerestory windows with four-centred arches, panel tracery and hoodmoulds, that to west window terminating in head-stops. Contemporary grotesque heads and gargoyles to cornice of parapet. Roughly central C14 gabled porch has double-chamfered pointed outer arch dying into jambs. Roughcast west wall of nave has early C14 three-light window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould; carved head of bishop or mitred abbot to cornice of parapet. Outline of former steep roof pitch visible to east wall and C14 bellcote to apex has segmental arch and crocketed pinnacles. North aisle. North side has reset C12 doorway: round-headed arch of 3 orders with a small band of zig-zag. Nook-shafts with chevron decoration and scalloped capitals. Tympanum with later infilled arch cut into it has a deep pattern of small circles; hoodmould. Early C14 trefoil-headed lancet with hoodmould to right and C19 integral lateral stack immediately to left. Two square-headed 2-light windows of c.1500 to left with straight bands of quatrefoils to heads; right restored. East wall has early C14 three-light window with intersecting cusped tracery; trefoil heads to main divisions with trefoils and elongated quatrefoils to spandrels. Chancel on stepped chamfered plinth has early C14 trefoil-headed lancet with hoodmould to left on north side. 3-light C15 window like those in nave clerestory but infilled to lower part lighting squint-passage projection (see interior) to right. East wall has early C14 pointed trefoil-headed window in 3 lights and C19 foliated cross to gable. South side has trefoil-headed lancet with hoodmould to west and C15 square-headed window with 3 cinquefoil-headed lights, mouchettes and label to east. Interior. Porch has image bracket or holy water stoup incorporated into stone bench on east side. C14 pointed south doorway has one order of convex and one order of hollow moulding with hoodmould; nail-studded plank door with strap hinges. Early C14 nave arcade in 3 bays has piers of filleted quatrefoil section with moulded plinth and capitals and pointed arches with 2 orders of wave moulding. C14 segmental-pointed chancel arch with inner wave-moulded order dying into jambs is possibly recut from an earlier arch. Tower cutting into west bay of arcade has pointed doorway with nail-studded plank door and hoodmould in west face. Doorway to former rood loft to east of east bay of arcade. C15 diagonal squint-passage from north aisle to chancel has ribbed vault and chamfered 4-centred arch at each end. Late C15 cambered tie beam roof in 4 bays to nave has arch-braced wall posts resting on carved stone corbels and blank stone shields at wall-plate level. Probably C17 collar and tie beam roof to north aisle and C19 scissor-braced roof to chancel. Pointed cinquefoil-headed piscina with credence shelf in south wall of chancel and plain corbelled brackets to either side of east window. Corbelled image bracket to north-east corner of aisle with recessed image bracket immediately to west. C15 wooden screen in chancel arch has 10 one-light divisions with Perpendicular tracery patterns and rosettes to ends; C15 bench ends also reused in early C20 pulpit. Early C19 box pews to east end of nave. Probably C17 communion table with dumpy turned balusters and wooden funeral bier by door to tower. Fragments of medieval stained glass in cusped heads of clerestory window of north aisle. Further C14 fragments in east window of north aisle including mid-C14 roundel of female head. Monuments. Brass plate to Thomas Hautin (d.1643) to south of chancel arch and large memorial with broken scroll pediment to John Logan (d.1637) on north wall of north aisle. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp657-8) [2547]

Listing NGR: SP2361120040

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253996
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 657 8

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04663/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terry Wigley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].