Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368447.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-May-2021 at 08:30:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


SHELLINGFORD CHURCH STREET SU39SW (North side) 5/202 Church of St. Faith 02/11/66 GV I

Church. C12 with porch and spire added c.1625 and late C19 vestry off nave. Coursed and uncoursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings and spire; metal roof, stone slate roof to porch. Chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and west tower with recessed spire. Early C14 reticulated 3-light east window; late C15 three-light Perpendicular and early C14 one-light window to north chancel wall; south chancel wall has 3 early C14 one-light windows and a fine Norman priests door (possibly reset in early C14) which is of two orders with carved capitals and shaft rings to columns and has dogtooth ornament to arch. North wall of nave has 3 late C15 four-light transomed windows with cusped heads; late C19 vestry has one 2-light C14 style window and steps down to plank door in basement. South wall of nave has one early C14 curvilinear 3-light window and two early C15 eight-light transomed windows to left with cusped heads and human and beasts heads to hood mould terminals. Norman south door of two orders with shaft rings and carved capitals, dog tooth ornament to arch with beasts' head terminal to hood mould; C17 plank double doors. South porch dated 1625 on cartouche above doorway, which has moulded architrave and hood mould to pointed arch and original panelled double doors; one 2-light window with cusped heads; gabled roof with fleur-de-lys finial surmounting coping. Battlements surmounting nave walls are probably early C17. West tower has Norman lancet windows, string course surmounting ground floor corner buttresses and gargoyles at base of battlemented parapet; recessed spire of c.1625 was restored 1852 and has 2-light belfry openings. Interior: East window has C15 glass from other parts of the church and some C20 glass placed there in 1947; some late C17 and C18 ledger stones on chancel floor, also the Purbeck marble base for a C14 brass which has been removed leaving only the outline; intrados of the north window arch has quatrefoil decoration, this arch having originally framed the tomb recess or chantry chapel of John of Bledbury, priest, d.1372; stained glass of 1930 to north window, late C19 stained glass to south; wall tablet on north wall has cartouche framed by Baroque decoration; over blocked door on south side is a mid C18 wall tablet. Also on north wall of chancel is large architectural memorial to Mrs. Mary Packer, d.1719, of grey and white marble with alternately blocked pilasters framing inscription at the bottom; composition above has main feature of sarcophagus and bust flanked by two putti. 3-bay late C19 roof. Engaged columns of C12 semi-circular chancel arch have vine-scroll strapwork and ball flower carvings to capitals. Nave has ledger stones and indent of C19 brass on aisle floor; Jacobean pulpit; C15 octagonal font has Jacobean cover. On east wall of nave south of chancel arch is monument by W. Tyler to second Viscount Ashbrook, d.1780; above the white marble inscription is a grey marble obelisk forming the background to a composition of brown and white marble; the sarcophagus is surmounted by two putti trailing a garland of flowers around a brown marble urn. North of chancel arch is plainer wall tablet featuring an urn on a pedestal to the third Viscount Ashbrook, by Flaxman, 1802. On north wall of nave is large tablet of reredos type with bust and putti (Pevsner) to Sir Edward Homes physician to Queen Anne. Glass dated 1889 and some reset C15 glass in south nave windows. 5-bay late C19 roof on original corbels. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.214-5; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, pp.477-8).

Listing NGR: SU3195193515


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 477-478
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 214-215


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/13856/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roddy Maddocks. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].