HAGBOURNE MILL FARM MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1368811
Date first listed:
12-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
HAGBOURNE MILL FARM MILL, BLEWBURY ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368811.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2020 at 16:50:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
HAGBOURNE MILL FARM MILL, BLEWBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
East Hagbourne
National Grid Reference:
SU 53795 87543

Details

EAST HAGBOURNE BLEWBURY ROAD SU58NW 6/168 Hagbourne Mill Farm Mill

GV II*

Water Mill. Rebuilt in circa early C18 on an ancient site, using some earlier timber-framing, remodelled circa 1828 and waterwheel replaced in circa late C19. Coursed stone rubble panels with red brick dressing to ground floor; weather boarding on timber framing to first floor; old plain tile roof 2 storeys and attic; 4-bay range with outshut to rear and mill-race to left. Stable door to right of centre with stone segmental head having keystone. 3-light casements to left of centre, and to right, with segmental brisk heads with keystones. Plant door to first floor right of centre. 2-light casement to first floor left of centre. Right return: stable door to right with cambered stone arch having keystone, Inscribed stone panel to ground floor left reading "T.H.F., 1.H.F.,J.H.E., R.F." INTERIOR: incorporates earlier timber-framing. 4-bay curved under-principal roof with plank ridge; most of common rafters replaced. Straight-flight staircase from ground to first floor; ladder from first floor to attic. Complete mill machinery and equipment illustrating unusually complete sequence of phases. Low-breast waterwheel with very early example of two-step underdriven gear system. Circa 1828 mill was regeared and refloored, waterwheel replaced by breast-shot wheel and third pair of stones added. Present iron waterwheel installed circa late C19. Remarkable early C18 moulded and decorated hurst-frame. Wooden chutes, internal hoist-traps to first floor and attic. Date of 1828 inscribed on ground floor. SOURCE: RCHME report; NBR:91013, November 1995.



Listing NGR: SU5379587543

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
248781
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].