CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1368878
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1368878.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 01:59:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Aston Rowant
National Grid Reference:
SU 72690 99016

Details

ASTON ROWANT CHURCH LANE SU7299 (East side) 18/21 Church of St. Peter and St. 18/07/63 Paul

GV II*

Church. C12 nave; C13 chancel; C14 tower and aisles; C15 clerestory; top stage of tower rebuilt c.1811 by Isaac Stone of Thame; mid C19 alterations; restoration of c.1884 by E.G. Bruton. Knapped flint with stone dressings, with areas of brick and stone; slate roof to nave; lead roof to north aisle; coated lead roofs to south aisle and chancel; tower roof not visible. 5-bay nave, 4-bay north aisle; 3-bay south aisle, 2-bay chancel and west tower, 2-centre arched doorway to left of south aisle with hood mould and C19 double-leaf plank doors. 2-light Y-tracery windows to aisle and chancel. 3-light Y-tracery windows to ends. 3-light reticulated tracery window to nave left. Parapet to aisle. 4 paired lancets to clerestory. Tower of 3 stages to left: lancet to second stage, 2-light Y-tracery louvred opening in third stage. Battlemented parapet with banded obelisk finials to corners. Rear: re-set Romanesque round-arched doorway to right of aisle with C19 plank door. 2-light geometrical tracery windows to aisle, except Romanesque lancet to right. 3-light rectilinear tracery window to nave right. Parapet to aisle. 4 paired lancets to clerestory. 3-light intersecting tracery window to right return of aisle; 3-light reticulated tracery window to left return of aisle. West front of tower: 2-centre arched doorway with hood mould and double-leaf plank door to centre. 3-light intersecting tracery window to second stage. 2-light Y-tracery louvred opening to third stage. Interior: Perpendicular roof to chancel; flat plastered roof to nave; lean-to roofs to aisle. Piscina to right of chancel; tomb recess to left with cusped arch supported on half-columns, and hood mould with carved end stops. 2-centre chancel arch with run-out chamfer. North and south arcades of 2-centre arches on octagonal columns. Rood screen doorway to left of chancel arch. Squint to right of chancel arch, with Perpendicular Tudor-arched recess above. Carved corbels between clerestory windows. 2-centred arch on cluster columns to tower. C13 Purbeck marble octagonal font on columns. North aisle; upper portion of rood screen stairs survive to right of east window. Medieval glass fragments to top lights of east window. 2 Decorated tomb recesses to north wall, each having 3 gabled canopies, enclosing quatrefoils, supported on brackets carved with rosettes. Monument above to Lady Cicill Hobbee, c.1618, of painted kneeling figure at prayer-desk, with surround. South aisle: piscina to south wall; good early C19 wall monuments; mid C17 brasses to floor. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.426-7; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, p.38-9).

Listing NGR: SU7269099016

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249035
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 426-427
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1964), 38-39

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16508/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cano-Lopez. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].