CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1369068

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THORPE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369068 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 21:55:31.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THORPE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Aston Upthorpe

National Grid Reference: SU 55280 86143

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASTON UPTHORPE THORPE STREET SU5586 (West side) Church of All Saints 7/57 14/06/63 II* GV

Church. C12, nave roof probably C14, early C17 north porch, chancel and vestry of c.1859 by P.C. Hardwick, bell-turret with spirelet probably also by P.C. Hardwick. Roughcast, probably on flint with stone dressings; flint with stone banding and dressings to chancel; old plain-tile roof; wood bell-tower with spirelet with lead covering. 4-bay nave with chancel. Open timber-framed porch with crown-post old plain-tile gabled roof. Romanesque doorway with C19 plank door. Lancet to left. Trefoil lancet to chancel. Triple lancet to end of chancel. Rear: red brick to Romanesque blocked doorway, triple trefoil lancet to right of nave. Vestry to right with paired lancet in 2-centred archway to cross-gable. 2-light Perpendicular window to west end. Interior: 4-bay arch-braced roof to nave. C19 arch-braced roof to chancel. C19 piscina to chancel. Carved heads above nave doorways. Some re-used bench-ends to pews. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.74; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.288-289).

Listing NGR: SU5528086143

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 247941

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 288-289
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 74

End of official listing