Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369131.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 16:48:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 76342 82644



Henley Bridge

1/32 The following should be added to the description:

The S. retaining wall of the E. abutment is built in part on the intact easternmost span of the original C12 bridge. This has a segmental vault of shuttered flint rubble masonry with Barnack stone dressings. The arch on the S. is of two square orders; that on the North is probably similar but is partially obscured by a C18 blocking wall. This bridge was probably built by Henry II in the 1170s; in 1179 it was recorded that he 'had bought land in Henley for making buildings' (K A Rodwell (ed), Historic Towns in Oxfordshire (1974), 125). Also included in the statutory list for the Parish of Remenham in the Wokingham District Council SU 78 SE 1/6.


1. HART STREET 5355 Henley Bridge SU 7582 1/32


2. 1786. Designed by William Hayward who died in 1782, before work started. Keystones of Thamesis and Isis carved by sculptress Mrs Damer, daughter of General Conway of Park Place and cousin of Horace Walpole. Stone, 5 arches with rusticated treatment to base of interval piers. Dentil cornice below balustrade which bears metal lamposts. Fluted plinths with 4 cherubs heads. 4 sided lamps. Metal plaque at each end of bridge instructing drivers of "engines".

No 52 and the Angel Hotel form a group with St Marys Church, The Red Lion Hotel and Stables and No 18 Thameside with Henley Bridge at this entrance into the town.

Listing NGR: SU7634282644


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Rodwell, K A , Historic Towns in Oxfordshire, (1974), 125


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05878/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Rebecca Swann. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].