Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369190.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:24:25.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Little Milton
National Grid Reference:
SP 61783 00743


SP 6100 LITTLE MILTON CHURCH HILL (West side) 13/76 Church of St James 18/07/63 - II

Church. 1844, tower 1861. By John Hayward of Exeter. Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; concrete plain-tile roof. 4-bay aisleless nave with short chancel, west tower, south porch and vestry to north of chancel. Late C14 style. East and west windows are of 3 traceried lights, the rest of 2 except for a cinquefoil lancet in the chancel south wall. Bays are defined by buttresses and the windows have hood-moulds with carved heads, the east window with "I H S" on shields in panels beneath the lights. West tower of 3 unequal stages, the top stage with pairs of traceried 2-light openings having the central pier rising from gables over the clock faces; crenellated parapet with panelled bases for missing corner pinnacles over string-course with carved heads, foliage and winged gargoyles at angles. Interior: Chancel and tower arches have continuous mouldings; roofs are panelled, springing from carved corbels. The bowl of a medieval piscina is re-used in the chancel. Fittings are of oak and include an elaborate reredos of 1901 by Hems of Exeter. Glass in east window and 2 eastern nave windows is of 1854 by Willement; glass in west window and window to west of porch is of 1869 by Heaton, 8utler and Bayne. (V.C.H. Oxfordshire VII; Buildings of England, Oxfordshire, p.687)

Listing NGR: SP6178200744


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 687
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10318/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].