CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1369329
Date first listed:
13-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369329.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:08:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Nettlebed
National Grid Reference:
SU 69832 86740

Details

NETTLEBED HIGH STREET SU6986 (South side) 12/102 Church of St. Bartholomew GV II Church. Probably late C18 tower, church 1845-6 by Henry Hakewill. Grey brick with some red brick to tower; stone window surrounds; slate roof. 4-bay nave with south aisle, 2-bay chancel, vestry to south and west tower Early English style. Plank door with 2 centre arch and stone surround to gabled porch with slate roof to left of centre. Three C19 reticulated tracery windows to south aisle, 2 lancets to chancel. 2-span roof to church. Vestry in angle between south aisle and chancel with plank door to angle and gable above with reticulated tracery; complex hipped roof. Tower to left of 3 stages: Plank door to rendered ground floor; Y-tracery window to first floor; paired lancet to 2nd floor, crenellated parapet to roof. Reticulated tracery east window. Interior: Brass memorial plate of 1637 and good C18 stone memorials in south aisle. Early C20 pulpit of green and cream marble. East window and western window of south aisle by John Piper. (Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, p.714).

Listing NGR: SU6983286740

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
247124
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 714

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00978/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rolf Richardson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].