THE INDIAN INSTITUTE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1369355
Date first listed:
28-Jun-1972
Statutory Address:
THE INDIAN INSTITUTE, CATTE STREET
Statutory Address:
THE INDIAN INSTITUTE, HOLYWELL STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369355.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2021 at 19:19:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE INDIAN INSTITUTE, CATTE STREET
Statutory Address:
THE INDIAN INSTITUTE, HOLYWELL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51580 06506

Details

CATTE STREET 1. 1485 The Indian Institute SP 5106 NE 6/145 SP 5106 SE 9/145 II GV 2. 1883-96. By Basil Champneys. In the Jacobean style. Milton stone with red brick at the rear. 3 storeys. 5 window range on Catte Street, 4-light mullion and transon windows on the ground floor; on the 1st floor oriel windows, 5-light mullion with 2 transoms; on the 2nd floor 3-light mullioned windows. Porch with unfluted Ionic columns. Corner tower with cupola. Parapet. Holywell front similar, but with more varied fenestration. Very important position as closing the East vista along Broad Street.

The Indian Institute forms a group with Exeter College, The Sheldonian Theatre and The Old Clarendon Building Broad Street.

Listing NGR: SP5157706508

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245371
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/01701/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Rebecca Swann. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].