90, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1369387
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
90, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369387.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2021 at 23:19:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
90, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51676 06250

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 1485 (South Side) No 90 SP 5106 SE 9/360 12.1.54 II GV 2. House and shop. RCHM 64. Early Cl7 and refronted in Cl8-19. 4-storeyed stucccoed Otimbber--framing with cellars, a moulded eaves cornice, parapet, Welsh slate roof and brick stacks. Carried up throu the uppeer flrs are 22 bay windo s with 3-light sash windows. On the ground floor on each side of the shop is a d oru in a reeded rame flae d by aan engaged Doric column. 6-panel doors in a pair. Late Cl9 shop. Roof not visible. Interior. RCHM p 163 b. Includes a blocked original doorway and a partly renewed staircase; a plaster ceiling with moulded ornamented beams; original panelling, fireplaces and over-mantels. At the back is an addition (now a lecture room of University College) built by James Adam, a cabinet maker, circa 1812; it has 2 Venetian windows. History. Built in 16l2 by John Williams apothecary and refronted by James Adam, probably early in Cl9. In 1905 it was acquired by University College of which it is now part. Here lodged the mother of John Ruskin when he was at Christ Church, 1836-40.

All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5167406247

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245521
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 163

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16719/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Sean Bergin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].