THE OLD PALACE, BISHOP KINGS PALACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1369422
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
28-Jun-1972
Statutory Address:
THE OLD PALACE, BISHOP KINGS PALACE, 86 AND 87, ST ALDATES STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369422.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2021 at 10:26:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD PALACE, BISHOP KINGS PALACE, 86 AND 87, ST ALDATES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51399 05861

Details

ST ALDATE'S STREET 1. 1485 (West Side) Nos 86 & 87 (The Old Palace, Bishop King's Palace) (Formerly listed under Rose Place) SP 5105 NW 12/458 12.1.54. I GV 2. RCHM 154. Built in two sections:- (1) the main range built Circa 1622-8 by Thomas Smith and probably incorporating the core of an earlier structure and (2) the West range being an earlier house of C16-C17. 3-storeyed timber-framed except for the East elevation and the 2 lower storeys of the South wall, which are of stone. The roofs are of Welsh slate. The long axis lies East and West at right angles to the street with its North elevation facing on to Rose Place and the South on to Clark's Row. The North elevation shews a main range of 5 gables and to the West of these 2 smaller and lower gables of the C16-C17 building which has an oversailing on the upper floors. On the ground floor is a modern addition towards the East and to the West the 1622 timber-framed front has a doorway with rectangular fanlight, a 3-light window and a side doorway. In the 1st and 2nd floors are 5 bay windows but the 2 1st floor ones were destroyed when the C19 addition was made towards the East. Each oriel window has 4 front mullioned, transomed and moulded wood-framed lights and one on each return; each is supported by 3 brackets carved with grotesques; the centre window in the 1st floor has the date 1628 on a shield above the heads of each of the 3 grotesques. The moulded fascias above the 1st floor windows have carved arches rising from pendants between, and at each end of, each oriel. The face of the 1st and 2nd storeys has a pargetted decoration. The West (or C16-Cl7) range has an overhang at the 2nd floor and 2 gables; in the 1st floor is a plainer 3-light oriel supported by 2 moulded brackets and in the 2nd floor is a similar oriel with a plain 3-light casement window in the West gable. The East elevation has an embattled parapet with a curved gable in the centre. In the 2nd floor are 3 C17 single-light stone mullioned windows. It is probable that this East wall is of a date earlier than the 1628 North front. The present projecting shop on the North East angle seems (from early drawings) to have been here since 1837-9. The South elevation has been somewhat altered and some of the windows have been converted to sashes. The top storey of the East part has some modern additions; the centre part has an attic storey added, while to the West the wing has a single gable. Interior. RCHM p 175 b and Antiq Jnl 27 (1947) p 135. Includes contemporary panelling, plaster ceilings and staircases, For plans, elevations and section see Fig 10 p 134 of Antiq Jnl 27 (1947).

Nos 82 to 92 (consec) form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5140205862

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245771
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 175
'Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London' in Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London, , Vol. 27, (1947), 135

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06517/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].