CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1369555
Date first listed:
08-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369555.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 10:15:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Epwell
National Grid Reference:
SP 35292 40473

Details

EPWELL SP 3540 12/12 Church of St. Anne 08/12/55 GV II* Church. C13 with C14 alterations and repairs in 1425-6 and 1857. Coursed ironstone rubble and regular coursed ironstone rubble. Nave has low pitch slate roof, chancel has lead roof. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south west tower and porch. 4-window range. Chancel has a 3-light Decorated east window with trefoiled head, single and 2-light lancets on south and single and 2-light Decorated windows on north. Priest's doorway on south with segmental pointed head and plank door. Nave has a blocked, pointed arched doorway on north flanked by 2-light Perpendicular windows with square heads. West end has a 3-light window with Intersecting tracery. South-west tower of 3 stages forms entrance porch, with pointed, arched doorway with headstops. Plank door. 2-light lancets and sundial. Crenellated parapet. Chancel roof restored in 1981 by G.F-Lawson. C19 nave and south aisle roofs. Decorated 2-bay south aisle arcade of 2 chamfered orders, the third bay of the arcade remains to the head of the inner doorway. Decorated piscina in south aisle. C14 octagonal font on round base. Early C18 pulpit. C19 reading desk, benches and altar rail. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p595; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p255)

Listing NGR: SP3529240473

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
244568
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 595
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 255

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11133/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Sheppard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].