CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1369783
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369783.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:10:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Fringford
National Grid Reference:
SP 60638 29131

Details

FRINGFORD MAIN STREET SP6029-6129 (West side) 18/24 Church of St. Michael and All 07/12/66 Angels

GV II

Church. Late C12 origins rebuilt piecemeal in C19, the chancel in 1821, the north aisle in 1829 and 1905, the tower added in 1831 replacing a wooden belfry, south aisle rebuilt by G.E. Street in 1857. Coursed limestone rubble and squared, coursed limestone. Slate and lead roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch. 4-window range. Chancel has a C19 3-light Perpendicular style window and two 2-light C19 lancet style windows on north and south with quatrefoils in head. Pointed arched priest's door on south. North aisle has a restored, 3-light Decorated style window on east, three 2-light lancet style windows on north with quatrefoils in heads and a 2-light Reticulated window on west. C19 buttresses. South aisle has restored and C19 2-light Decorated style windows on east, south and west. Offset buttresses. Nave has two 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows with leaded lights and square heads with hood moulds and label stops on south and two similar C19 windows on north. C19 south porch. Restored C12 south doorway. West tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses and shallow C19 stone parapet. Pointed arched south doorway. Lancet window to first stage, 2-light Decorated window with louvres to bell-stop. Diagonal buttresses. String to upper stage. Chancel has a C19 roof, nave has a 5-bay arched tie beam roof with renewed purlins. 2 bay C12 north arcade with round piers with trumpet scallop decorated on capitals. 3 bay Perpendicular south arcade. 2 piers with grotesque heads. Medieval screen. Pulpit with C16 panels. 2 fonts, one Perpendicular, the other of 1880. C19 fittings and furnishings including carved bench ends. Wall memorials in north aisle to Henry and Anthony Addington, 1729 and 1790. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp607-8; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI, p133)

Listing NGR: SP6063829131

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
243617
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 607-8
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1959), 133

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04192/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].