This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1369840



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hook Norton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 244044

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HOOK NORTON HIGH STREET SP3533 (North side) 10/33 Church of St. Peter

08/12/55 GV I Parish Church. Romanesque chancel and north transept. Late C12 Transitional south transept and south aisle. Nave and north aisle EE/DEC. C14 Perpendicular clerestory and west tower. Porch rebuilt in 1825. Regular ironstone rubble and ashlar with lead roof. Nave, chancel, north transept, north aisle, south transept continuous with south aisle, west tower, south porch. Chancel has 2 round-headed Romanesque windows with hood moulds and stops in both north and south walls. 2-light Decorated windows in north aisle. Chancel: East window curvilinear. Windows of south aisle: intersecting tracery and a form of curvilinear tracery with triangular shapes in heads. Perp. north window in north transept; Perp. clerestory with 5-light window over chancel arch. West tower of 4 stages with embattled parapet, 8 pinnacles and gargoyles; west doorway with square hood mould with quatrefoils in spandrels. Pilaster buttresses and string course to Romanesque chancel. Blocked doorways in east wall of north transept; south wall of chancel and north wall of north aisle. Latter includes blocked jambs, imposts and tympanum of a Romanesque doorway. South doorway E.E. with two orders of roll moulding and jamb shafts and capitals carved with bunched leaves. Interior: Nave has blocked staircase to rood; north arcade of 3 bays with short octagonal piers and double- chamfered arches. 4th bay later with high arch to transept. South aisle has tall octagonal piers and Perp. east bay opening to transept. East chancel arch has imposts of earlier arch. Chancel contains double piscina and 2-seat sedilia in south wall; round-headed niche in east wall and another in north wall formerly doorway. Fittings: Romanesque font with carved figures including Adam and Eve and the signs of the zodiac. Pulpit 1882. Wall paintings: C15 over chancel arch and C14 fragment over south arcade. Stained glass: east window 1881 by Ward and Hughes; south aisle east window possibly by Morris. Monuments: north transept to John Croker dated 1568, to Anne wife of Thomas Wise 1703, part of Elizabethan tomb and large stone with matrix. Nave has memorials and floor stone to family of Lampet 1781 - 1858. (Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, 1974 p.651; Chambers, R.A. - Hook Norton: All Saints Church, Oxford Archaeological Unit Annual Report 1982, p130).

Listing NGR: SP3550633124

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 651
'Oxford Archaeological Unit Annual Report' in Oxford Archaeological Unit Annual Report, (1982), 130

National Grid Reference: SP 35512 33125


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369840 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2017 at 03:41:33.

End of official listing