CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1369982
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369982.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 06:58:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Cromwell
National Grid Reference:
SK 79935 61536

Details

SK 76 SE CROMWELL MAIN STREET (east side) 4/40 Church of 11-8-61 St. Giles

G.V. I Parish church. C13, C14, C15. Partly restored 1873-76 by Ewan Christian. Coursed rubble dressed stone and ashlar. Plain and interlocking tile and slate roofs. West tower, nave with clerestory, south aisle and south chancel chapel, chancel, vestry. West tower, c.1427, 4 stages. Chamfered plinth, 4 string courses, eaves band with 6 gargoyles, crenellated parapet. At north east corner, a full height stair turret. First stage has to west splayed doorway with hood mould and mask stops, and to north, a stair light. Second stage has to west a C15 triple lancet with cusped ogee heads, splayed mullion, chamfered and rebated reveal and hood mould. To north, a stair light. Third stage has to west a cusped head lancet in splayed and rebated square headed reveal with hood mould. To north, stair lights. Fourth stage has 4 C15 cusped head double lancets with Perpendicular tracery, coved mullions, coved and splayed reveal and hood mould. Nave, 3 bays, has to north chamfered rendered plinth, coved eaves band and moulded coping. Coped east gable. To east, large irregular buttress, 2 setoffs and plinth. To west 2 restored C14 style double lancets with cusped ogee heads, Decorated tracery, splayed mullions and reveals. Above, 3 C15 double lancets with chamfered and rebated square headed reveals. South side has 3 similar clerestory windows. South aisle and south chancel chapel form continuous range. 3 plus2 bays. Chamfered plinth and 3 coped gables. Chapel has to south 2 buttresses, 2 setoffs. East end has C13 triple lancet with intersecting tracery and splayed mullion and reveal. Chapel south side has to west a C13 restored double lancet with splayed mullion and reveal. To east, a C19 doorway in C13 style, with shafts and hood mould with foliate stops. South aisle has to west a C13 chamfered and rebated doorway with flanking shafts with plain base and capitals and hood mould. To east, 2 restored C14 double lancets with cusped ogee heads, Decorated tracery, splayed mullions and reveals. West end has a C14 lancet with cusped ogee head and chamfered reveal. Chancel, 2 bays, has coped east gable with kneelers and cross. North side has to west 2 C13 double lancets with Y tracery, splayed mullions, chamfered reveals, and hood moulds with mask stops. To east, blocked C15 aumbry with triangular head. To its right, a blocked doorway. East end has restored 5 light lancet, C14, with cusped flowing tracery,coved mullions, chamfered and rebated reveal and hood mould. South side has to east a C14 triple lancet with cusped ogee heads, flowing tracery, coved mullion, chamfered and rebated surround and hood mould with mask stops. Vestry, C19, has chamfered plinth and slate lean-to roof. Remains of pair of gargoyles. To north and west, single C13 style lancets in chamfered reveals. To east, chamfered doorway with hood mould. South arcade, C13, has 2 round piers with water holding bases and plain octagonal capitals, c.1873. 2 half-round responds and double chamfered and rebated arches. Nave has a re-set corbel in the north wall. C15 roof, restored C19. Low pitched, with heavily moulded ridge and purlins, moulded cambered tie beams, and additional C19 tie beams on large chamfered corbels. Foliate bosses. Tower arch, C14, double chamfered and rebated with half-octagon responds with plain bases and capitals. Tower chamber has to north, a door with four centred arched head. South aisle has west window with stained glass, C19. Plain C19 lean-to roof on earlier chamfered corbels. Chancel arch, C19 in C13 style, double chamfered and rebated with half-round responds with plain bases and capitals. Hood mould with mask stops. Wrought iron screen, 1881, with central gates. North side has to east, blocked doorway, C14 with ogee head. Window with fragments of C15 stained glass. East window has remains of a moulded niche in left reveal, and a panel of stained glass, c.1874. C20 stone altar, gradine and tabernacle. South side has to east a small chamfered C13 piscina and a restored C14 piscina with moulded surround and bowl. To west, 2 bay arcade to chapel, C14 with central octagonal pier with moulded octagonal base and capital, partly restored. Half-round filleted responds with moulded capitals. Plain double chamfered and rebated arches. C19 principal rafter roof with collars and arch braces from corbels. South chancel chapel has to south a half-segmental arch and a re-set corbel. Plain C19 lean-to roof with struts on chamfered corbels. Fittings include C19 font with chamfered square base, round stem with 4 minor marble shafts, and large chamfered square bowl with inscribed panels. Elaborate C19 wrought iron lectern. Plain panelled C19 benches. Pierced and arcaded C19 stalls and desks with fleur de lys finials. Wrought iron altar rail, 1881. C18 four legged stool with turned legs. Small C19 organ. Monuments include Classical tablet with reeded pilasters. 1827, plain marble tablets, 1827 and 1832, brass with Latin inscription, 1728, brass 1827, marble and brass tablet 1871, brass, 1881, tile and alabaster tablet, 1911, and brass 1967.

Listing NGR: SK7993961535

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242743
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11192/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].