CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1369997
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1369997.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:33:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Upton
National Grid Reference:
SK 73677 54271

Details

SK 75 SW UPTON CHURCH LANE (west side) 8/122 Church of 11/8/61 St. Peter and St Paul

G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, north aisle chapel 1349, C15, C16. Restored 1820, 1867, in 1893 by Hodgson Fowler, and 1962. Coursed squared rubble and dressed stone with ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. West tower, nave, north aisle, north aisle chapel, chancel, north porch. West tower, 3 stages, has deep moulded plinth, 2 string courses, gargoyles to north, south and east, crenellated parapet,C15, with 8 crocketed pinnacles and single central pinnacle with weathercock. 4 corner buttresses, 4 setoffs plus plinths. First stage has to south 2 stair lights and chamfered unglazed opening. West side has chamfered and moulded doorway with four centred arched head and hood mould, and C19 traceried panelled door. Above, C15 cusped head triple lancet with panel tracery and moulded reveal with hood mould. Second stage has to south a chamfered round headed opening with grill. To north, a re-set corbel. Third stage has 4 C15 cusped, transomed triple lancets with panel tracery, louvres and hood moulds. Nave, 3 bays, restored, has plain eaves and coped east gable with cross. South side has 3 buttresses, 2 setoffs. Central buttress has C18 gabled ashlar and slate sundial with brass fittings. Off-centre restored Perpendicular style quadruple lancet with round heads, panel tracery, splayed mullions and coved reveal. Flanked by single C19 Decorated style double lancets with ogee heads, splayed mullions, chamfered reveals and hood moulds. North aisle, 3 bays, has deep chamfered plinth, moulded eaves band, moulded coped parapet inscribed '1820' amd '1962'. West end has single chamfered lancet. North side has central C19 porch flanked by single C15 round headed triple lancets with panel tracery and plain square headed reveals. North aisle chapel, single bay, has plinth and parapet like north aisle. 2 diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs, and coped east gable. To north, central restored C14 double lancet with ogee heads, splayed mullion, chamfered square headed reveal and hood mould. East end has restored C14 triple lancet with ogee and trefoil heads, Decorated tracery and hood mould. Chancel, 2 bays, has chamfered plinth and coped east gable with cross. To east, 2 C19 gabled corner buttresses, 2 setoffs. North side has to west, chamfered pointed doorway with hood mould. To west again, restored C14 Decorated style double lancet with splayed mullion and splayed square headed reveal with hood mould. East end has restored C14 Decorated style triple lancet with cusped ogee heads, reticulated tracery, splayed mullions, chamfered and rebated reveal and hood mould with mask stops. South side has to east, 2 C19 Decorated double lancets with ogee heads, splayed mullions and reveals and hood moulds. To west, restored pointed low side window with hood mould. North porch, C19 in early C14 style, has 2 diagonal buttresses, single setoff, and coped gable with cross. North doorway has column responds with moulded capitals and bases. Each side has a cusped single lancet. Interior has moulded wall plate and scissor braced principal rafter roof with spine beam and ashlar pieces. C19 inner doorway has moulded pointed head with hood mould and C19 door with ornamental hinges. Nave north arcade, C13, 4 bays, has cruciform piers with flanking shafts, the flanking shafts of the 2 eastern piers keeled. All have moulded bases and capitals and matching east and west reponds. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds, foliate and mask stops. Scissor braced C19 principal rafter roof with ashlar pieces. Tower arch, C13. Double chamfered and rebated, with clustered keeled shaft responds. First stage has former priest's room, now pigeoncote with ashlar fireplace with coved and splayed surround, blocked window to east, and 2 rows of gypsum plaster nest boxes. Plank door with graffiti 'T H 1867'. North aisle has to west, C17 framed panelling with reeded frieze, and window with C19 stained glass. East end has C13 chamfered and rebated arch to north aisle chapel, with beast mask impost. To its left, chamfered square headed recess. C19 lean-to roof with chamfered timbers. North aisle chantry chapel endowed 1349 by Sir John and Isolde Bray. North side has 2 round headed chamfered tomb recesses with splayed intermediate pier and hood moulds. East end has window with stained glass, 1925, and chamfered bracket to right. North east corner has cusped round headed recess and squint. Chancel arch, C19 in C12 style, double chamfered and rebated with hood mould and mask stops. Round responds on square bases with moulded capitals and nail head bands. Chancel north side has, to east, triangular headed aumbry with C19 door. East end has oak panelling and window with stained glass, c.1961, flanked by single mask brackets. South side has to west, low side window with patterned stained glass. C19 arch braced principal rafter roof with spine beam. Fittings include C14 octagonal font with moulded base and bowl, disused C19 octagonal font bowl, C19 fretted panelled timber pulpit on moulded C19 ashlar base and C20 desk-type lectern. Chamfered benches, C19 and traceried panelled desks, stalls, altar and rail, 1941-49. Oak chest with elaborate iron strapping, said to be c.1250. C17 armchair with chip-carved back. Mid C18 panelled oak cradle with turned finials. Monuments include Baroque style marble war memorial with scrolled pediment, 1918; marble and slate war memorial tablet from Methodist Chapel, 1918; notice, 1867, referring to grant for restoration. Plaque, 1949, referring to chancel furnishings. 4 small C20 memorials.

Listing NGR: SK7367754271

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
242826
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27473

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06802/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Beaumont. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].