CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, KIRKLINGTON ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370132.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:39:35.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, KIRKLINGTON ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 67536 62169
EAKRING KIRKLINGTON ROAD
SK 66 SE
7/14 Church of
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored and re-seated 1880-81 by St. Aubyn. Snecked dressed stone with gabled gambrel plain tile roof. Ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth, coved eaves, coped gables with crosses. West tower, nave, north porch, north transept, chancel, south porch. West tower, C13 and C15, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, moulded eaves with remains of gargoyles, crenellated parapet and 4 crocketed pinnacles. First stage has to south east, 2 plain buttresses, single setoff, engaged with nave. To west, chamfered C13 door with hood mould and stops. Above, remains of a figure carving and chamfered single lancet with trefoil head and hood mould. North side has to east a plain buttress, single setoff. Second stage has 4 restored double lancets with cusped ogee heads. Third stage has 4 double lancet louvred openings, that to west with cusped round heads and quatrefoil in circle. Clock faces to north, south and east. Nave, late C13, 4 bays, has on north side, to west, single buttress, 3 setoffs. 3 restored double lancets, different patterns, with trefoil heads, chamfered reveals and hood moulds. South side has similar buttress to west and 3 windows identical to north side, with re-set mask stop between the eastern pair. Restored north porch has chamfered pointed north doorway. Interior has stone benches and C19 moulded collar purlin roof with arch braces. West side has 2 re-set stone lozenges with Arms of Elizabeth I, and explanatory brass. Inner north door has chamfered elliptical head, ashlar quoins and mutilated lintel. North transept, C19, single bay, late C13 style, has to west moulded pointed doorway with hood mould. North gable has triple lancet with trefoil heads, geometrical tracery and intrusive circle motif. Chancel, early C14, has 2 diagonal buttresses to east, 3 setoffs. North side has to east, C19 lancet, C13 style, with trefoil head. East end has quadruple lancet c.1300, with treofil heads, Y tracery, large trefoil each side, staff-moulded mullions and reveal and hood mould with stops. South side has 2 restored single lancets, c.1300, with coved and rebated reveals. South porch, C14, restored, double chamfered and rebated south doorway with half-round responds with moulded capitals and bases. Interior has stone benches and roof similar to north porch. Inner south door has plain quoins and restored rendered segmental head. North and south porches have each a pair of wrought iron spearheaded gates, C19. Outside, 5 unusual C19 shoescrapers with hand rails. Aisleless nave has to east, chamfered doorway with hood mould. C19 principal rafter roof with moulded corbels and large arch braces. Tower arch, C13 double chamfered and rebated, with half round responds with small moulded bases and capitals. Tower chamber has west, window with stained glass, C19. Chancel arch, C19 in C13 style, double chamfered and rebated, with hood mould and uncarved stops. Contains 5 bay traceried panelled oak screen, Perpendicular style, with central cross and commemorative brass, 1913. Chancel north side has chamfered opening with heavy chamfered timber lintel and struts on moulded corbels, containing organ. North side has single and south side, 2, stained glass windows by Alexander Gibbs of London, c.1880, all dedicated to William Mompesson. East end has keeled sill band, panelled, carved and crested oak reredos by C. H. Bond, Rector 1915-36. East window has stained glass 1878. South side has to east, carved and panelled seat in window recess by C. H. Bond. Unusual C19 principal rafter roof with large arch braces to collars and inverted arch braces above them, and large scissor type wind braces. Fittings include ashlar font dated 1674 with octagonal plinth, base and stem and coved octagonal bowl. C19 cover. Panelled and chip carved octagonal pulpit, c.1674, on octagonal ashlar base. Chip carved back panel, Renaissance Revival style, with carved round headed opening. Matching carved octagonal sounding board with carved panels with half round cutouts, multiple ball drops, reeded frieze and dentillated cornice. Timber column poor box with moulded base, chamfered stem, iron fittings and panelled front inscribed 'Remember the poor 1718'. C19 iron bound poor box on shaped bracket. 4 panelled oak benches with shaped ends, early C18. Chamfered and moulded oak benches, 1880. Early C19 stool with 4 turned legs. 2 shaped traceried panelled clergy desks and 4 panelled oak stalls, late C19. Double sided oak lectern, late C19, with bracketed cross foot and carved square stem. 2 framed boards with lists of Rectors. Board referring to re-seating, 1880. Brass referring to fitting of clock, 1887. Monuments include decayed early C18 sandstone and slate wall monument crudely repainted C20, with panel in moulded frame, apron with winged skull, flanking floral drops with cherub heads, cornice, and above, Achievement of Arms with floral swags. To Rowland, Margaret and John Dand. Marble and slate tablet, 1856. War memorial brass, 1918. Brasses 1670, 1708, c.1880 and 1937.
Listing NGR: SK6753662169
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27138
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing