Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370154.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:12:18.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 75882 47982


ELSTON TOP STREET SK 74 NE (north side) 6/27 Church of All Saints 16.1.67 II* Parish church. C13, C14, extensively restored 1837, chancel restored and vestry rebuilt 1856. Coursed rubble. Concrete pantile roofs. Tower, nave, aisles and vestry embattled, chancel with parapet and single north stack. East gables of nave and chancel with single ridge cross finials. Tower, nave, aisles, south porch, north vestry and chancel. Slim C13 tower of 3 stages with band at lower stage, 4 crocketed pinnacles and 8 gargoyles. West side has a single window with 2 arched lights under a flat arch. Above is a single window with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. The north wall has a doorway with wooden plank door and drip mould. The 4 arched bell chamber openings each have 2 arched lights, above are 4 arched windows each with 2 arched lights. There are single rectangular stair lights to the west, north and south. The south side also has a single clock face over the bell chamber opening. North aisle has a single C19 window with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch, to the left are 2 similar 3 light windows. The C14 clerestory with single crocketed pinnacle has 3 C19 arched windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights and single small quatrefoil. The diagonally buttressed vestry is set on a plinth and has a pointed arched doorway in the north wall. Steps to the right lead down to a cellar with blocked pointed arched doorway and single ogee arched light to the right. The east vestry wall has a single C19 window with single arched and cusped light, tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north chancel wall is set on a plinth and has a single C19 arched window with single arched and cusped light surmounted by a single trefoil with hood mould and label stops. A sill band extends under. The angle buttressed east end has a single C19 arched window with 3 pointed arched and cusped lights flanked by single slim columns. There is a single transom, the lights being blocked under, and a hood mould with human head label stops. A sill band extends under. The buttressed south chancel has 2 C19 2 light arched Y traceried windows. Each light being flanked by single slim columns with decorated capitals. A sill band extends under. The east wall of the south aisle has a single C19 window with 3 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch, the south wall has 2 similar windows. The diagonally buttressed and gabled south porch with embattled side walls has a moulded arched entrance with small iron gate. There is an inner chamfered arched doorway. To the left is a single C19 window with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch and in the west wall a single 2 light arched window with cusped tracery and hood mould. The clerestory corresponds to the north. Interior. 2 bay nave arcades, with octagonal columns, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. Double chamfered tower arch, the inner chamfer being supported on moulded capitals and corbels and the arch decorated with carved ashlar shields. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner chamfer supported on moulded capitals, and corbels. East window has a hood mould and human head label stops. Moulded, pointed, arched doorway to vestry, flanked by single slim engaged columns. South chancel wall has an arched piscina being decorated with fleuron. The north chancel wall has an aumbry with wooden door decorated with open tracery. Restored C14 octagonal font. Remaining furniture C19. Monuments. In the north chancel to John Darwin, 1805, by Wallis, Newark, is a monument decorated with an urn on the crown and a decorative shield on the apron. In the south chancel to Will Darwin, 1760, the tablet being flanked by decorative scrolls at the base and garlands at the sides, the segmental arch over is topped with a decorative shield and further garlands; the decorative apron is supported on an angel's head. The south nave has a plaque to Geo. Chapell, 1766 and over the tower arch is a plaque to George Lascelles, 1616, this is surmounted by a shield and visor. On the south aisle west wall is a monument to William Alvey Darwin, 1783 by Wallis, Newark. The crown has a decorative cartouche flanked by single urns. There is a monument to Jane Darwin, 1835, this is topped with an urn and cross. On the north wall to Robert Darwin, 1754, the inscription being flanked by single pilasters with dosserets decorated with paterae and topped with a decorative cartouche. The north aisle north wall has a monument to Robert Waring Darwin, 1816, by Wallis, Newark. This is topped with an urn. That to Elizabeth Hill Darwin, 1804, by Taylor of York, has an oval inscription tablet with decorative sarcophagus over and is topped with a decorative shield. On the west wall that to William Waring, 1835, has a decorative urn over the inscription and 2 angels holding a crown above. The monument to Elizabeth Darwin, 1835, by Tyley, Bristol, has fluted columns flanking the inscription and is surmounted by a seated woman. On the south wall is a monument to Jane Eleanor Darwin, 1838, the inscription is set into a decorative sarcophagus and is surmounted by an urn with flowers, over is a dove carrying a lily. Tower, south wall, has a monument to Ann Darwin, 1813, by Wallis of Newark, the west wall has one to Susanna Darwin, 1789 by Wallis of Newark and to William Darwin 1682 with oval inscription tablet with decorative surround and topped with decorative shield surmounted by an urn. On the north wall is a monument to John Darwin, 1818, by Wallis and Marshall, decorated with a shield on the apron. In the tower and nave are single C19 decorative copper memorials.

Listing NGR: SK7588247982


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12424/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gerard Sheridan. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].