PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1370346

Date first listed: 14-Sep-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Nov-1976

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN, CHURCHGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370346 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Feb-2019 at 23:20:56.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN, CHURCHGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 70646 81324

Details



888/1/40 CHURCHGATE 14-SEP-49 (East side) PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN (Formerly listed as: CHURCHGATE CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN)

GV II*



Church. C13 origins, tower rebuilt 1658 (battlemented parapet and pinnacles of 1810). Rebuilding and restorations of 1852 and 1854-5 by GG Place. Chantry chapel rebuilt 1873 by GF Bodley. Further restoration 1905. Ashlar with low pitched roofs behind battlements or parapets. Chancel, N and S transepts, central 4-stage crossing tower, nave with aisles, S porch. Windows have mainly Perpendicular tracery. Much of 4-bay chancel is C19 with part of C17. N transept is mainly medieval and has 5-light N window. Lower stages of large and impressive tower are mainly blank with paired bellchamber openings. S window to S transept is 5-light. 6 3-light windows to nave clerestory, 4 to N aisle, 5 to S aisle which, like S transept and W end, has elaborate buttresses. INTERIOR. Chancel has carved reredos. Elaborate pulpit C19 with font C15, restored C19. Arcades have finely carved foliage capitals. Roofs C19 except for S transept roof which is dated 1656. Fine set of priests' and choir stalls, and also fine set of pews in nave and aisles. Fragments of early glass in S transept W window. A notable feature of the church is the fine and extensive series of C19 stained glass by Clayton and Bell, O'Connor, Wailes, Hardman, G. Shaw of Uppermill, Kempe, and Tower (details in Pevsner). SOURCE. Pevsner, Nottinghamshire, 1979 edn., 295-6.

Listing NGR: SK7064681324

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 240902

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing