CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1370395

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370395 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 17:51:28.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw (District Authority)

Parish: Gringley on the Hill

National Grid Reference: SK 73598 90666

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/02/2013

SK 79 SW 5/48 1.2.67

GRINGLEY ON THE HILL HIGH STREET (south side) Church of St. Peter and St.Paul

G.V. II*



Parish Church, C13, C14, C15, C16, C17, C18, C19: south aisle 1910-12 for Rev. Charles Bailey. West tower, north aisle nave, chancel, south aisle. Ashlar, partly rendered and pebbledashed, some irregularly coursed and some coursed squared rubble; ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, 2 stages, has 2 string courses, moulded crenellated parapet, 4 crocketed pinnacles. To west, 2 diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs plus plinth. To south, single chamfered rectangular light. To west chamfered C14 doorway with close boarded door; above, C14 splayed and chamfered opening with coved hood mould, containing restored C16 triple lancet with panel tracery. To right, 2 rectangular and one trefoil lights to stair. To north, blocked round headed Norman doorway. Second stage has 4 C14 coved and splayed openings with coved hood moulds containing cusped head double lancet louvred bell openings with panel tracery. North aisle, C15 and 1720, 4 bays, has plinth, moulded string course, moulded eaves band and parapet. Pair of angle buttresses to east, single diagonal buttress to west, 2 setoffs, 3 intermediate buttresses, 2 setoffs. West window early C20, segmental headed opening with coved hood mould, containing triple lancet with cusped heads and Decorated tracery. North side has, to west, elaborate moulded doorcase, late C17, with keystone and scrolled brackets to hood, containing close boarded north door. To east, 3 square headed, cove moulded openings, the central with 4, the outer with 3 C16 round headed lancets with chamfered mullions. East end has square headed chamfered opening containing C16 round headed triple lancet; above, datestone inscribed RF.SH 1720. Nave, 3 bays, has to north moulded parapet and to south, moulded eaves band and parapet, rendered; 3 square headed C15 chamfered and splayed openings with ogee headed cusped double lancets. Coped gable with cross. Chancel, 2 bays, ashlar with ashlar quoins, rendered, has coped gable with cross and slate roof. East window C19, coved and moulded opening containing C15 style cusped ogee head triple lancet with panel tracery. South side has 2 C15 square headed chamfered openings with hood moulds, each containing cusped ogee headed triple lancet. South aisle, 1910- 12, 4 bays, irregularly coursed ashlar, 5 buttresses, 2 setoffs. West bay blank; to east, roll moulded pointed arched doorway with roll moulded hood containing close boarded door. To east, 2 square headed coved and rebated openings, each with cusped head triple lancet with coved mullions. To west, similar coved and rebated square headed opening with coved and chamfered hood mould containing double ogee headed lancet with coved mullions. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated haskeeled responds with octagonal caps; C20 oak screen with elliptical central arch, carved spandrels and balustered panel each side; above, parapet with turned balusters to ringing chamber. Nave north arcade, C13, 3 bays, with round piers with water holding bases on chamfered square plinths, and plain octagonal capitals. Keeled responds with octagonal caps. Double chamfered and rebated arches with plain hood moulds. South arcade, 1910-12, 3 bays, octagonal piers with moulded octagonal bases and capitals and half pier responds. Double chamfered and rebated arches with coved hood moulds. Roof, C19, low pitched, with some earlier timber. Curved brackets from corbels to tie beams, principal timbers moulded. 4 carved bosses including one mask. Font, C20, octagonal, on earlier chamfered octagonal plinth with traceried panels. Pulpit C20 timber, panelled; painted wooden eagle lectern; C20 chairs. North aisle and north aisle chapel, rendered. All splayed window openings. Splayed opening to north door. East window of north side has stained glass, 1926; east window stained glass, 1924. Roof, C20, incorporating some C15 timber, straight struts to principal rafters, moulded rafters and purlins. To west, 5 classical style memorial tablets, 1805, 1811, 1818, 1826, 1834; 2 other tablets c.1900 and 1962. C20 chairs and 3 resited C19 pews with shaped ends. Chancel arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated, octagonal imposts with mask stops. Screen c.1912. Perpendicular style, 7 bays, central opening with carved spandrels. Chancel has single bay, north arcade, C14, with double chamfered and rebated arch with keeled responds with chamfered square bases and octagonal capitals. Attached to its north side, another arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated with octagonal imposts. East window has splayed square headed opening with roll moulding and coved mullions. In south east corner, C13 pillar piscina with stiff-leaf decoration. South windows have square headed splayed openings with chamfered mullions; that to west has C19 stained glass. Roof, C20, with moulded purlins. C20 benches and choir stalls. South aisle, rendered. East window has splayed opening, 1920 stained glass and war memorial plaque, 1945. South wall windows have segmental headed cove moulded and splayed openings. South door has chamfered and splayed opening, surrounded by panelled timber screen. To west, moulded pointed arched doorway to vestry.

Listing NGR: SK7359890666

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 241130

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 17 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26992

End of official listing