Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370402.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:27:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bassetlaw (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 58490 79536



3/70 Church of St.John


Parish church. 1868. By R. C. Clarke and Son for Messrs. Machin and Foljambe. Decorated Revival style. Rockfaced ashlar with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Moulded chamfered plinth, buttresses, moulded string courses, moulded eaves and corbel table, balustrade, shouldered coped gables with kneelers and crosses. Gargoyles. Lancet windows with shafts with foliate capitals and hood moulds. Doors with similar hood moulds and stops. West tower, nave, chancel, north porch, north and south aisles, organ chamber and vestry. Buttressed 2 stage west tower has 4 pinnacles and broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Moulded west portal with shafts and shouldered doorway with inscribed tympanum. Foundation stone and single lancet to south. Stair turret to north. First stage has single lancets to west and south, and above, to west, clock. Second stage has a double lancet bell opening on each side. Clerestorey has 5 triple lancets on each side. Chancel, 2 bays, has 2 double lancets on each side, and to east, a triple lancet and above, vescia piscis. 5 bay north aisle has porch to west and 4 double lancets. Single bay north porch has moulded doorway with clustered shaft responds and stiff leaf capitals. A single trefoil opening on each side. Organ chamber has moulded doorway to north and blocked double lancet to east. Vestry has to east a square headed triple lancet and to south, a doorway with shouldered head. South aisle has 5 double lancets and a similar lancet to west. West porch has segmental headed doorway and rib vault on imposts. Nave arcades have 4 clustered piers with various foliate capitals, quatrefoil bases and chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds. Sill band and clerestorey windows with shafts. King post roof with cusped arch braces and shaft responds. Chamfered and rebated tower arch with traceried timber screen, 1912. Roll moulded chancel arch with triple shaft responds and hood mould. Chancel has a single arch each side, with clustered responds. East end has linenfold panelling and matching reredos. East and south windows have C19 stained glass. Arch braced principal rafter roof with single responds. North aisle east end has traceried panelling, c.1938, and arch to organ chamber. 3 windows with C19 and C20 stained glass. Roof with curved braces. South aisle has timber screen forming vestry at west end and 5 windows with C2O stained glass. Fittings include plain pews, panelled traceried oak stalls, panelled oak pulpit on octagonal ashlar base, brass eagle lectern on ringed shaft, 1898; font with chamfered inscribed plinth, granite shaft with 4 minor shafts, square bowl with recessed figure panels and corner shafts. Traceried panelled cover. Memorials include war memorial window and brass, 2 C19 and single C20 brasses.

Listing NGR: SK5848379533

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Register, accessed 17 August 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].