CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1370467
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370467.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 04:25:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Birtley
National Grid Reference:
NY 87802 77962

Details

NY 87 NE BIRTLEY BIRTLEY VILLAGE

Church of St. Giles 9/15 II* 10.11.51

Parish church. C12 restored 1884. Dressed stone and random rubble. Welsh slate roof. Nave, chancel, west porch and south-west tower. Chancel north wall and nave masonry is C12. Most other external features Victorian including west porch with pointed-arched doorway, multifoil rose window in west gable, and south-west tower which is a square vestry on ground floor, becoming octagonal with lancet bell openings and short octagonal spire.

3-bay nave has 3-light stepped cusped lancets on south side. Nave and chancel north walls blank. Three plain stepped lancets on chancel south side. East window is 3 stepped lancets under hoodmoulds.

Blocked priest's door and north door, probably early C17, are square-headed with chamfered surround.

Interior has C12 unmoulded chancel arch on plain chamfered imposts. Pointed arch to blocked priest's door. East window has shafts and shaft rings. Inscribed stone on chancel north wall, C8, with a cross and letters ORPE. Several medieval coffin lids built into west porch, also a plain medieval stoup.

Listing NGR: NY8780277962

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239550
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15204/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Rogers. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].