THE OLD VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1370472

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE, WEST ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370472 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Mar-2019 at 17:36:11.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE, WEST ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ovingham

National Grid Reference: NZ 08502 63635

Details

NZ 0863 - 0963 OVINGHAM WEST ROAD

22/122 The Old Vicarage 20/10/52 GV II*



House. Front block right bay C15, the rest mainly various C17 dates and early C19 but probably with medieval core. Mainly squared stone with Welsh and stone slate roof. 2 storeys. L-shaped. Front block has doorway right of centre. 4 later semicircular steps up to roundheaded door with moulded imposts and pendant keystone. 2 windows left and one right, formerly 4-light mullioned but now all but ground floor left are early C20 casements in original chamfered reveals. Moulded ground floor string rising above door. Also first floor string. This facade early/mid C17. On right return a 2-light C15 window with cusped heads. Projecting wing to rear has date 1694 for Thomas Addison over door with TA flattened Tudor arch in square chamfered surround. Also large projecting chimney breast, partly renewed, projecting brick bread oven, one mullioned window and various later windows. Rear of this wing has various C18-C20 sashes under C17 hoodmoulds. Rear of front block is early C19 thickening with 12- and 6-pane sashes but incorporating a C17 two-storey porch with Tudor-arched doorway. Panel above door in memory of John Bigge, killed 1919. Gabled roofs with one stone corniced end stack, one similar ridge stack and 2 rebuilt stacks.

Interior has blocked, possibly late medieval, doorway with broadly-chamfered surround and flat lintel with rounded shoulders. This has drawbar tunnels and was probably an outside door. It is in right ground floor room with C15 window. Large fireplace in centre ground floor room has flattened Tudor arch and plaster reliefs of oak leaves inside fireplace. Further large segmental-headed fireplace in former kitchen with nailhead on each voussoir. Early C19 staircase but stone newel of former stair remains. Plaster frieze in upper room with pairs of affronted dragons; and fleurs de lys in corners of ceiling.

The house was a cell of Hexham Abbey.

Three Jacobean Houses by H. Honeyman: Archeologia Aeliana 4thS. XXXI 1953

Listing NGR: NZ0850263635

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 239477

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Archaeologia Aeliana, , Vol. 31, (1953)

End of official listing