CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1370480
Date first listed:
05-Sep-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370480.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 07:09:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whittington
National Grid Reference:
NY 97815 72467

Details

NY 97 SE WHITTINGTON BINGFIELD

15/95 Church of St. Mary

II

Church. Some medieval masonry, early C18, restored and partly rebuilt 1875. South wall ashlar,random rubble elsewhere. Vestry has stone slate roof, church Welsh slate.

Single cell with south porch and west vestry. 3 bays with, on south side, 2-light windows with cusped heads. Gabled south porch of 1875 between 2nd and 3rd bay. South doorway is C18, round-headed with impost blocks and keystone.

East window is 3-light Victorian Perpendicular. C18 west bellcote has rusticated sides and flat top with ball finial.

Lower vestry has paired lancets on south wall and tall stone chimney on gable end.

Coped gabled roof with rounded C18 kneelers.

Interior has king-post roof with angle-and V-struts. The king-posts are renewed, some of the other timbers old.

Large C18 baluster font.

Listing NGR: NY9781572467

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239630
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/05546/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].