CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1370514
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, A 696

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370514 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 21:50:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, A 696

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Otterburn
National Grid Reference:
NY 88543 93130

Details

OTTERBURN A 696 NY 89 SE (North side)

25/34 Church of St. John 10.11.51 the Evangelist

GV II

Parish church. 1858 by John Dobson. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. Decorated style. South-west tower with spire, nave, chancel and north vestry.

Tower: small and octagonal with gabled buttresses on alternate sides; trefoiled bell openings set in blank trefoiled arches separated by columns with shaft rings. Low octagonal spire.

Four-bay nave: gabled porch to left has multi-moulded, pointed-arched doorway. Three one-light windows with cusping. Gabled buttresses with offsets between each bay. West end has two 2-light windows with buttress between, and traceried lunette above.

Two-bay chancel has 2-light windows. Five-light east window with Geometric tracery.

Steeply-pitched gabled roofs with overhanging coping and foliated cross finials.

Interior: In the porch a cross head. Open timber roofs with scissor braces. Rere arches of all openings have labels with head stops. Altar frontal is a high-relief wood copy of 'The Last Supper' by Leonardo Da Vinci.

Listing NGR: NY8854393130

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239694
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07173/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Lumley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].