LYCH GATE AND ATTACHED CHURCHYARD WALL TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1370757
Date first listed:
29-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
LYCH GATE AND ATTACHED CHURCHYARD WALL TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LYCH GATE AND ATTACHED CHURCHYARD WALL TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370757 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 01:14:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
LYCH GATE AND ATTACHED CHURCHYARD WALL TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Mitford
National Grid Reference:
NZ 16904 85564

Details

MITFORD MITFORD NZ 1685 9/22 Lych gate and attached churchyard wall to south of Church of St. Mary Magdalene GV II

Lych gate with churchyard wall and railings; lych gate dated 1889. Tooled-and margined stone with ashlar dressings; oak upper frame and red-tiled roof. Square stone structure with 2 small double-chamfered Tudor-arched lights at either side and sloped buttresses framing central 2-centred timber arches on moulded stone corbels, with cusped panels and ihc monogram in spandrels. Brattished tie-beam with inscription and panel tracery above under trefoiled ogee bargeboards. Swept eaves, wrought-iron cross fleury on ridge. Double gates with fleur-de-lys standards and more elaborate finials. Collar rafter roof with date and initials J.P.0.M. (Colonel John Philip Osbaldeston-Mitford) on rafter feet.

Wall, swept in on either side of gate, has steeply-chamfered coping and railings of similar design to gate. At each end a tall gabled pier; similar short right return.

Listing NGR: NZ1690585563

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238937
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02327/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Wilkinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].