THE TOWER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1370759
Date first listed:
29-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
THE TOWER HOUSE, MITFORD HALL DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE TOWER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370759.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 16:46:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE TOWER HOUSE, MITFORD HALL DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Mitford
National Grid Reference:
NZ 16498 85489

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/05/2016.

NZ 1685 1393/9/31 29/04/87

MITFORD MITFORD HALL Mitford Hall Drive

The Tower House (Formerly listed as: Mitford Hall east wing and Conservatory)

II* GV

East wing and conservatory of country house, c.1820 for Mitford family by John Dobson, detached from house by demolition of north east wing in C20. Ashlar, except for squared tooled stone to rear. Welsh slate roof to wing, glass roof to conservatory. South elevation: wing in 2 sections. Left part 2 storeys, 3 bays. Plinth, eaves cornice. No ground floor windows; 1st floor 20 pane sashes except that to left which is blocked (left bay is only screen wall since demolition). Hipped roof. Right bay is 3-storey tower; plinth, 2nd floor string, eaves cornice. Blocked door in architrave with 24-pane sash above and 20-pane sash on second floor. Pyramidal roof with rendered lateral stack on left. Conservatory set forward to right, 7 bays. Plinth. Tuscan pilasters between bays and at angles; glazing renewed; hipped roof. 5-bay left return with central half-glazed door.



Listing NGR: NZ1649885489

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238946
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].