This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1370769



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Stamfordham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 238894

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



28/408 Church of St. Mary 28.4.69


Parish church. Possibly Saxon quoins at west end of nave, also blocked Saxon, early Romanesque arch in west wall of tower. Elsewhere C13, extensively restored 1847 by Benjamin Ferrey. Squared stone and ashlar with fish-scale tile roof. Tower, nave with aisles, chancel and vestry.

Tower: 3 storeys. Small lancets on ground and 1st floor; paired-lancet bell opening with roll-moulded surround and central column with waterleaf capital.

4-bay nave with 2 lancets to each bay. Buttresses between the bays. The detail all of 1847.

3-bay chancel is more clearly of re-used C13 masonry. The plinth, priests' door and string are Ferrey's but the windows seem original (cf. interior). East end has 3 stepped lancets.

North vestry has picturesque tall octagonal chimney with pyramidal cap.

Interior: porch has 3 medieval grave covers and part of C15 tomb with 2 angels bearing shield. Round rere-arches to tower lancets. Arcade of double-chamfered arches re-cut but original; the octagonal piers are replacements. West piers have heavily-restored stiff-leaf capitals. West responds and slightly-ogival tower arch are original. Chancel arch and east responds have triple-shafted corbels. Chancel windows with roll-moulded surrounds, and east window with multi-.moulded surround. Trefoiled piscina. Chancel south side: segmental niche with effigy of knight; north side segmental niche with dogtooth and effigy of priest. Also in chancel half a C13 effigy of knight, wall tablet to Dixon family 1721 and later, with coat of arms. North aisle: John Swinburne, 1653; large standing monument with Baroque carving in the style of Capheaton Hall. South aisle: part of C14 relief of the crucifixion built into east wall; also a painted cartouche to Wm. Akenside, and Sam his son, 1776.

Listing NGR: NZ0765272009

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 07653 72010


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370769 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 09:11:01.

End of official listing