ORCHARD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1370826
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
30-May-2002
Statutory Address:
ORCHARD HOUSE, PRIESTPOPPLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ORCHARD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370826.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 01:54:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
ORCHARD HOUSE, PRIESTPOPPLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hexham
National Grid Reference:
NY 93862 63986

Details



709/2/60 PRIESTPOPPLE 02-OCT-51 (North side) ORCHARD HOUSE (Formerly listed as: PRIESTPOPPLE ORHARD HOUSE) (Formerly listed as: PRIEST POPPLE 48 Orchard House and)

GV II*



House, now office and veterinary surgery. c. 1825. 2 storeys. Built around a courtyard to the road, closed by a low wall with central gate piers and cast iron gates. Recessed centre (south front) has 2 windows, east wing has single window over projecting porch. South front ashlar, right wing rendered with some raised quoins. Moulded eaves cornice. Sash windows: marginal glazing bar sashes to south front, glazing bar sashes to east. Porch in north east corner closed, with Ionic portico with entablature to west and a niche to south. Double span gable to east wing which has 3 chimneys, a kneeler with a plaster lion couchant and a single window to left. North front to east wing has front brick with chamfered quoins, kneelers and rusticated headstones. Later 4 light bay to right. Rear: ashlar at back of centre portion, which also has an Ionic portico.

Nos 14 to 46 (even) and Orchard House form a group, of which Nos 14 to 18, 26 to 34 and 42 to 46 and 44A are of local interest.



Listing NGR: NY9386263986

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239202
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04634/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].