CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1370929
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370929.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 16:47:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ilderton
National Grid Reference:
NU 01733 21851

Details

NU 02 SW ILDERTON ILDERTON

13/66 Church of St. Michael 21/9/51

GV II*

Parish church. Tower partly C13. The rest late C18, slightly Gothicized late C19. Older parts dressed stone, the rest ashlar. Scottish slate roof.

Tower, nave, chancel and north vestry.

Tower: C13, 1-light west window with cusped head. Broad offset angle buttresses. Round-arched south doorway under pent roof, and battlemented upper section with simple arched bell openings, added C18.

3-bay nave with plinth, sill band and pointed-arched windows in raised surrounds with impost blocks. Thin Victorian wooden tracery. North wall blank.

l-bay chancel with polygonal apse. Late Victorian Decorated east window.

Gabled roof to nave with kneelers and splayed coping.

Interior: Nave floor is on much higher level than tower, hence the low but steeply-pointed tower arch with chamfers and plain imposts.

Round chancel arch with moulded keystone.

Small font dated 1727 with slender, elaborately-decorated shaft and cherubs' heads on bowl.

C14 grave cover in floor of tower.

History of Northumberland: Vol. VII.

Listing NGR: NU0173321851

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237642
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crawford Hodgson, J, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parish of Edlingham with the Chapelry of Bolton The Parish of Felton with the Chapelery of Framlingham The Chapelry or Parish of Brinkburn, (1904)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/08037/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Marshall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].