CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1370949
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, B6353

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1370949 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 18:40:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, B6353

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Kyloe
National Grid Reference:
NU 05209 40383

Details

NORTHUMBERLAND BERWICK ON TWEED 5331 KYLOE

NU 04 SE KYLOE B6353

3/43 Church of St. Nicholas 22/12/69 II



Parish church. Nave and tower 1792. Nave Gothicised 1868, porch and chancel added 1862 both by F.R. Wilson of Alnwick. Nave and tower pink ashlar. Later parts rock-faced ashlar. Welsh slate roof.

Nave, chancel, west tower, north vestry and south porch. Unbuttressed tower has bands at ground and 2nd floor level, concave at 1st floor and below battlemented parapet. One ground-floor 12-pane sash window with ogee head. Louvred pointed-arched bell openings. Porch adjoins tower.

Wide aisleless 4-bay nave with sill band and concave cornice. Buttresses added later. Geometric tracery.

Apsidal chancel also has Geometric tracery.

Interior has roof of 1862 with arched braces. Georgian overpanel to west door.

Listing NGR: NU0520940383

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237753
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15205/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Murdoch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].