CODGER FORT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1371062
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
29-May-1987
Statutory Address:
CODGER FORT, B6342

Map

Ordnance survey map of CODGER FORT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371062.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2019 at 03:24:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CODGER FORT, B6342

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Rothley
National Grid Reference:
NZ 04456 90113

Details

ROTHLEY B 6342 NZ 09 SW (East side) 12/58 Codger Fort (formerly listed as 21.10.53 Cadger's Fort or Cadger Castle) II

Folly c.1770 by Thomas Wright for Sir Walter Blackett. Large blocks of roughly- dressed stone. A triangular bastion c.30 yards long with a square-plan projection at the apex. The wall is c.8 ft. high, with 16 gun loops. The front of the square projection has 3 crenellations.

The wall ends in 2 turrets c.6 ft. square with doorways on inner returns, rough projecting cornices and rough, stone pyramidal roofs. They are c.15 ft. high.

The fort stands on cliffs in a dramatic position and was formerly thought to be a defence of c.1746 against possible Jacobite invasion. However, a design of 1769 signed by Thomas Wright of Durham, and held at Wallington seems to disprove this.

J. Macaulay: The Gothick Revival 1745-1845: 1975 BLACKIE, LONDON AND GLASGOW. TYNE & WEAR COUNTY COUNCIL MUSEUMS: Capability Brown and the Northern Landscape: Exhibition Catalogue: 1983.

Listing NGR: NZ0445690113

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236299
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Capability Brown and the Northern Landscape Exhibition Catalogue, (1983)
Macauley, J, The Gothick Revival 1745-1845, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13338/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Dixon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].