MONUMENT TO FIRST LORD ARMSTRONG AT SOUTH WEST OF DETACHED GRAVEYARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1371120
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
MONUMENT TO FIRST LORD ARMSTRONG AT SOUTH WEST OF DETACHED GRAVEYARD, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MONUMENT TO FIRST LORD ARMSTRONG AT SOUTH WEST OF DETACHED GRAVEYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371120 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 14:53:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
MONUMENT TO FIRST LORD ARMSTRONG AT SOUTH WEST OF DETACHED GRAVEYARD, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Rothbury
National Grid Reference:
NU 05725 01575

Details

ROTHBURY CHURCH STREET NU 0501 (West side) 25/272 Monument to 1st Lord Armstrong at south-west of detached graveyard II

Graveyard monument, 1900. Cut stone. Paved rectangle enclosed by dwarf wall with moulded coping. At west end two-stepped base to plinth of Celtic cross with plant scrolls and central rose boss to head. On plinth inscriptions to William George, 1st Lord Armstrong of Cragside, d.1900, 'HIS SCIENTIFIC ATTAINMENTS GAINED HIM A WORLD WIDE CELEBRITY, AND HIS GREAT PHILANTHROPY THE GRATITUDE OF THE POOR'. Margaret Lady Armstrong, d.1893, text from Ecclesiastes and the Armstrong arms.

Listing NGR: NU0572501575

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236617
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15873/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mary Scott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].