PEEL HOUSE, WITH OUTBUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1371202
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
01-Sep-1988
Statutory Address:
PEEL HOUSE, WITH OUTBUILDING, MIDDLE ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371202.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 20:41:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
PEEL HOUSE, WITH OUTBUILDING, MIDDLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shilbottle
National Grid Reference:
NU 19542 08707

Details

NU 10 NE SHILBOTTLE MIDDLE ROAD (North side)

9/226 Peel House, with 10.1.53 outbuilding (formerly listed as Vicarage) GV II

Former Vicarage, with attached outbuildings. Tower probably C15, heightened 1863; main part of house, and outbuildings, C18 remodelling of possible medieval fabric, altered and extended 1863 by F.R. Wilson, for Rev. J.B. Roberts; altered c.1970. large squared stone; outbuilding rubble; rear wing snecked stone; cut dressings. Welsh slate roofs except for low-pitched lead roof to tower.

South elevation in 3 sections. At right end is 3-storey tower. Rough plinth; wall battered up to 2nd floor level. Enlarged chamfered loop on ground floor; C19 first-floor window of 2 pointed lights; traces of blocked window to left. Chamfered set-back above marks top of medieval masonry. 2nd-floor window of 2 trefoil-headed lights; embattled parapet. Taller corbelled-out turret at left corner. Adjoining 2-storey 3-bay part has shallow porch on right with boarded door under chamfered pointed arch; pent slab roof with small centre gable with monogram on shield and cross finial. Plain sash windows, the central set in former chamfered doorway; stone with JBR monogram above left ground-floor window. Left single-storey section in 2 parts; 2-bay right part reduced to 1 storey c.1970, shows 4-pane sash and small boarded window; 2-bay left outbuilding has boarded double doors under timber lintel, with narrower but similar door to left under raking loft dormer; coped left end gable; small stepped stack on ridge.

Right return, to churchyard: Left tower with 1st-floor window of 2 trefoil- headed lights above panel with Latin inscription referring to Rev. Roberts and F.R. Wilson, and rhyme (from Melrose Abbey): Earth builds on the earth Castles and Towers To earth saith the earth All shall be ours. Square-headed window on 2nd floor 2-storey 1-bay rear wing on right has 3- light windows under dormer gable.

Rear elevation: Various casement windows in older openings. Gable end of rear wing, on left, has windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights.

Interior: Basement of tower has chamfered 4-centred doorway and slightly- pointed barrel vault; splayed loop on north now opens into wing. Wall lockers in end walls. Remains of newel stair or well shaft in cupboard at north-west corner of tower. 0.7-metre thick walls, with distinct batter, define former hall block, enlarged to rear in C18. Panelled doors and shutters with beaded mouldings. 1st-floor room in tower has C18 moulded stone fireplace with later wrought-iron and tiled grate, flanked by doorways with arched panels above; cornice. C19 stair with stick balusters, moulded ramped handrail and moulded newels.



Listing NGR: NU1954208707

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237117
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jan 2006
Reference: IOE01/15210/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Christopher Woodward. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].