ELSDON TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1371439
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
29-May-1987
Statutory Address:
ELSDON TOWER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371439.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Aug-2020 at 08:42:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
ELSDON TOWER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Elsdon
National Park:
NORTHUMBERLAND
National Grid Reference:
NY 93612 93412

Details

ELSDON ELSDON NY 9393 19/13 Elsdon Tower 21.10.53 formerly listed as Elsdon Rectory GV I

Towerhouse. Recorded as a 'Vicar's Pele' in 1415 but probably rebuilt C16. Lower additions to west and north early C19 by Archdeacon Singleton; the windows remodelled c.1840.

South side: originally 4 storeys but redivided internally to make 3 storeys. C19 door on ground floor. On 1st floor 2 C19 mullion-and-transom cross windows break through an earlier string course. 2 similar windows on 2nd floor. High embattled parapet, the high centre part C18 with the shield of the Umfravilles. Behind the parapet a steeply-pitched stone-slate roof with raised coping and stone end stacks.

Right return (east side) has large early C19 segment-headed mullion-and-transom window on ground floor. Above a chamfered recess with a shield bearing five fusilles, the early arms of the Percys. Above 3 blocked slit windows. In the parapet the Percy crest.

North side has castellated porch and single-storey, lean-to entrance hall of early C19. Above are 3 C18 lancets lighting the staircase.

Above the original entrance a short stretch of machicolation on 4 large corbels. In the parapet the C18 shield of the Howards of Overacre.

Attached to right 2-storey, 2-bay early C19 additions with 3- and 4-light mullioned windows. 4-light bay window with stone pent roof on right. Irregular C18 and early C19 additions to rear.

Interior: Tower walls 8 ft. thick. C16 hollow-chamfered round-headed doorway on ground floor. In south-east corner a short straight mural stair leads to a fine ashlar newel stair. Tunnel-vaulted ground floor given early C19 plaster rib vault; Gothick fireplace and door. On 1st floor, original entrance from stair has chamfered 4-centred arch. On 1st floor large corbels to support floor above. C18 or early C19 friezes in entrance hall and study have Percy, Lucy and Howard shields. Frieze of trefoiled hanging arches on 2nd floor. Early C19 roof timbers.

In the C19 addition a staircase with slender turned balusters.

G.N. Taylor: The Story of Elsdon: Frank Graham: Newcastle. J. Hodgson: History of Northumberland: Newcastle.

Listing NGR: NY9361293412

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236252
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, G N, The Story of Elsdon
Crawford Hodgson, J, 'A History of Northumberland' in Hexhamshire Part II Hexham Whitley Chapel Allendale and St John Lee and the Parish of Chollerton the Chapelry of Kirkheaton the Parish of Throcrington, (1897)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07173/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Lumley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].