ESLINGTON PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1371446
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Sep-1986
Statutory Address:
ESLINGTON PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of ESLINGTON PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371446.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 23:35:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
ESLINGTON PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whittingham
National Grid Reference:
NU 04259 12093

Details

WHITTINGHAM ESLINGTON PARK NU 01 SW 9/110 Eslington Park 21/10/53 (formerly listed as Eslington Hall)

GV II*

Country house. 1715-20 with additions of 1796. For the Liddells, Earls of Ravensworth. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. U-shaped in plan. Classical style. 2 storeys.

Entrance front 9 bays with 3-bay addition of 1796 to left. Original section has rusticated quoins and central Tuscan porch with triglyph frieze. 12-pane sashes in architraves, those in older part renewed, those in 1796 part of slightly different proportions. Original section has projecting moulded cornice and plain parapet; later section has smaller cornice and honeycomb parapet. Garden front 9 bays. Slightly-projecting outer bays have rusticated quoins. Half-glazed central door in Ionic porch with pulvinated frieze and modillion cornice. 18-pane sashes with thick glazing bars in architraves. Moulded cornice and plain parapet.

Hipped roof with corniced ridge stack.

Interior: Entrance hall has screen of 2 Corinthiin columns, simple early C19 stair with coved plaster ceiling. 1st floor landing has screen of Corinthian columns to left and Venetian screen on right. All decoration, except the stairs, is a mid-C20 replica of the original. one'early C18 staircase remains in east wing with one twisted and one columnar baluster to a tread. Single-storey garage to rear of entrance front, not of special interest. Further mid C19, single-storey addition to left of entrance front forms part of stable block. (q.v.).

Northumberland County History Vol. XIV.

Listing NGR: NU0425912093

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236195
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dodds Hope, M, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes of Alnham Chatton Chillingham Eglingham Ilderton Ingram and Whittingham The Chapelries of Lowick and Doddington, , Vol. 14, (1935)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].