CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1371508
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1969
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371508.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:12:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Helmdon
National Grid Reference:
SP 59011 43186

Details

HELMDON CHURCH STREET SP54SE, SP5843 (East side) 5/7 14/7 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 04/02/69 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Mary Magdelen)

GV II*

Church. C14. West tower rebuilt 1823, restored 1841, and 1876 by E.F. Law. Coursed limestone rubble, lead roofs except for chancel - slate, and porches - plain tile. Chancel, north chancel vestry and organ chamber, nave, north and south aisles and porches, west tower. 3-bay chancel has 4-light east window with intersecting tracery, 2-light north window with ogee-arched head and reticulated tracery and remains of piscina with cusped head incorporated in wall beside east door to C19 vestry, a 3-light south-east window similar to that to north, and one-light south-west low side window with ogee head and trefoil. Nave has clerestory with 4 2-light windows to north and 3 to south with 4-centred heads. North aisle has C19 east extension overlapping chancel and 2-light Decorated windows throughout. North door has simple pointed arch. North porch has hollow-chamfered doorway with 4-centred head, cut spandrels, small blocked one-light window above and rectangular windows north and south with chamfered surrounds and ironstone infill with cross ventilation slits. South aisle has 2-light Decorated south and east windows with cusped Y-tracery and 2-light arch mullion window to west. South porch similar to north with blank arch above door inscribed JHP/JH/CHWDS/AD/1841. 3-stage west tower has west door with 4-centred head and 2-light arch-mullion window above. Datestone to middle stage west side inscibed REBUILT/1823. 2-light bell openings with cusped Y-tracery. Diagonal buttresses, battlemented parapets and corner pinnacles. Church has chamfered plinth, string course, stepped to chancel, plain stone-coped parapets to aisles and clerestory, and stone-coped gables to chancel and porches. Diagonal buttresses to chancel. All windows and doors except for small side windows of porches have hood moulds, some with carved label stops. Interior: chancel has stepped string course, C19 stone reredos with painted angels and fine 3-bay sedilia and piscina with ogee cusped heads, crocketted hood moulds and pinnacles; chamfered priest's door to north with ogee head and hood mould. Double-chamfered chancel arch, inner arch on polygonal responds. Nave has 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers, capitals, and double-chamfered archs. C19 roofs throughout except for moulded ties and purlins of nave roof, possible C15. Medieval stained glass fragments in heads of aisle windows ad canopy heads in south-east chancel windows, including figure of mason in north-east aisle window. Tomb recess with Purbeck marble tomb slab with foliated cross. C17 communion table in south aisle. Complete set of C19 pitch pine furnishings, (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.253; Kelly's Directory for Northants, 1928)

Listing NGR: SP5901143186

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
234517
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 253
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1928)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/05265/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].