CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1371622
Date first listed:
17-May-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Dec-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371622.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:01:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Blakesley
National Grid Reference:
SP 62705 50471

Details

BLAKESLEY CHURCH STREET SP6250 (East side) 10/31 Church of St. Mary 17/05/60 (Formerly listed as Church of the Blessed virgin)

GV II*

Church. Tower of c.1300, body of church C14 and C15, early C16 south chancel chapel. Restored 1874. Chancel rebuilt 1897 by firm of Law and Harris. Coursed squared ironstone and limestone, lead roofs, except for plain-tile roofs of chancel and tower. Chancel, vestry and organ chamber, south chancel chapel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light geometrical east window and 2-light Decorated style windows north and south. Blocked, chamfered, priest's door to south; vestry and organ chamber to north, continuing north aisle, with vestry door to east and 3-light Decorated style window to north. South chancel chapel has 3-light arched mullion east window with cut spandrels and similar 4-light window to south. Nave has four-bay clerestory with straight-headed windows with cinquefoil-headed lights and battlemented parapet. North aisle has 2-light straight-headed windows to north with ogee-headed lights and many-moulded north door. South aisle has 2-light straight-headed windows to south with pointed trefoil-headed lights and one-light west window with cinquefoil-headed light. Roll-moulded south door in south porch with double-chamfered doorway, 2-light straight-headed window to east with pointed trefoil-headed lights, and 2-light straight-headed window to west. 3-stage west tower has 3-light Perpendicular west window, one-light chamfered window to west and south stair-turret with ridged stone roof to south-east, 2-light bell-openings with trefoils to heads and cusped heads to lights, corbel table, battlemented parapet and pyramidal roof. Diagonal offset buttresses to west angles of tower and south aisle and chancel chapel, angle offset buttresses to chancel, and buttresses, mostly offset, between bays of north and south aisles. Plain stone-coped parapets to chancel and aisles. Windows and doors all have hood moulds. Interior: chancel has alabaster reredos, and double-chamfered arch to south chancel chapel. Fine Decorated chancel arch with foliage capitals. Nave has 3-bay arcades with continuous double sunk-quadrant mouldings. Tower arch has triple responds, the main one with fillet, and triple hollow-chamfered arch. A blocked door above tower arch with Caernarvon-arched head. Perpendicular roof to nave with moulded ties, ridge and purlins supported on angels making music. C19 stained glass east and west windows. Painted wood table of Kindred and Affinity. Brass to Mathew Swetenham, d.1416, Bowbearer to Henry IV. Painted alabaster wall monument to William Wattes d.1614 with 4 headless kneeling figures in 2 tiers. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.106 Kellys Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928; Blakesley Then and Now, P.B. Kingston, 1983, pp. 13-16).

Listing NGR: SP6270550471

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235049
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Kingston, PB , Blakesley Then and Now, (1983), 13-16
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 106
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1928)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/06712/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].