CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1371650
Date first listed:
17-May-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHAPEL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371650.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:05:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHAPEL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Maidford
National Grid Reference:
SP 60970 52539

Details

MAIDFORD CHURCH LANE SP65SW (East side) 2/93 Church of St. Peter and St. 17/05/60 Paul

GV II*

Church. C13 and C14, restored 1879; south porch of 1883, organ chamber of 1889. Coursed squared ironstone, slate roof to nave and organ chamber, copper roof to south aisle, otherwise plain-tile roofs. Nave, chancel, organ chamber, nave, south aisle, south porch, west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light Decorated east window with hood mould. Blocked door to south and 2-light Decorated south window with hood mould; also small blocked window or reset piscina with cusped ogee-arched head. Two offset buttresses to south, chamfered plinth to east end and stone-coped gable with kneelers. Organ chamber to north has pair of cusped one-light windows on north side. Nave has blocked north door with large stone lintel and keyblock on imposts. 2-light Decorated windows to north with hood moulds. 4-window clerestory to south with 2-light leaded casement windows to south-east and south-west (with timber lintels) either side of pair of one-light leaded windows with chamfered stone surrounds. Two buttresses to north and plain stone-coped parapets. South aisle has-3-light Decorated east window with hood mould with renewed tracery and ogee-moulded surround. 2-light straight-headed windows to south with ogee-arched heads and ogee-moulded surrounds. South door has double sunk quadrant mouldings in porch of 1883 with red sandstone dressings. Diagonal buttresses, chamfered plinth and hollow-chamfered stone eaves; stone-coped half-gables. 3-stage west tower has west door with sunk quadrant-moulded jambs, chamfered head and hood mould. Small lancet windows to west of middle stage and to gables of saddleback roof. 2-light bell-openings with Y-tracery and hood moulds. Plain stone-coped parapets to north and south and diagonal buttresses. Interior: chancel has piscina with crocketed nodding ogee-arched head. Dado to sanctuary of cut-down C18 panels with 2 cut-down early C17 carved panels and C15 tracery heads probably part of former screenwork. Two image brackets flank east window. C18 communion rail with turned balusters. Simple Perpendicular pews in chancel from Eydon Church (Pevsner). ,Nave has 3-bay south arcade with octagonal piers and polygonal responds, capitals and double-chamfered arches. South aisle has ogee-arched piscina. Triple-chamfered tower arch dying into plain chamfered piers. C19 roofs throughout. C19 stained glass east window to chancel and aisle. Royal arms of George III oil on board; painted by J. Collins, 1813. Commandment Board, oil on canvas, in tower. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.301; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928).

Listing NGR: SP6097052539

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235112
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 301
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1928)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15987/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].