The Old Rectory and Parish House

The Old Rectory and Parish House, Brackley Road, Greatworth, OX17 2DX

Listed on the National Heritage List for England. Search over 400,000 listed places

Explore this list entry

Overview

17th century rectory, extended and altered in the 19th century then further altered and subdivided into two dwellings in the mid-20th century.
Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1371826
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1969
List Entry Name:
The Old Rectory and Parish House
Statutory Address:
The Old Rectory and Parish House, Brackley Road, Greatworth, OX17 2DX

Have you got a photo to share?

Join the Missing Pieces Project. We want you to share your photos and memories.

Location

Location of this list entry and nearby places that are also listed. Use our map search to find more listed places. 

There is a problem

Use of this mapping is subject to terms and conditions .

This map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale.

What is the National Heritage List for England?

The National Heritage List for England is a unique register of our country's most significant historic buildings and sites. The places on the list are protected by law and most are not open to the public.

The list includes:

Icon Buildings
Icon Scheduled monuments
Icon Parks and gardens
Icon Battlefields
Icon Shipwrecks

Find out more about listing

Local Heritage Hub

Unlock and explore hidden histories, aerial photography, and listed buildings and places for every county, district, city and major town across England.

Discover more

Official list entry

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1371826
Date first listed:
04-Feb-1969
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Jul-2026
List Entry Name:
The Old Rectory and Parish House
Statutory Address 1:
The Old Rectory and Parish House, Brackley Road, Greatworth, OX17 2DX

The scope of legal protection for listed buildings

This List entry helps identify the building designated at this address for its special architectural or historic interest.

Unless the List entry states otherwise, it includes both the structure itself and any object or structure fixed to it (whether inside or outside) as well as any object or structure within the curtilage of the building.

For these purposes, to be included within the curtilage of the building, the object or structure must have formed part of the land since before 1st July 1948.

Understanding list entries

Corrections and minor amendments

The scope of legal protection for listed buildings

This List entry helps identify the building designated at this address for its special architectural or historic interest.

Unless the List entry states otherwise, it includes both the structure itself and any object or structure fixed to it (whether inside or outside) as well as any object or structure within the curtilage of the building.

For these purposes, to be included within the curtilage of the building, the object or structure must have formed part of the land since before 1st July 1948.

Understanding list entries

Corrections and minor amendments

Location

Statutory Address:
The Old Rectory and Parish House, Brackley Road, Greatworth, OX17 2DX

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Northamptonshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Greatworth and Halse
National Grid Reference:
SP5516942324

Summary

17th century rectory, extended and altered in the 19th century then further altered and subdivided into two dwellings in the mid-20th century.

Reasons for Designation

The Old Rectory and Parish House are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* the former rectory retains a good level of C17 fabric including stone-mullioned windows on the principal elevation, inglenook fireplace and timber framing between the bays;
* parts of a C17 splat baluster stair survive at attic level and other elements of it have re-sited within the late C19 north extension;
* the plan form of the buildings is legible with the two-cell C17 range and a mix of formal and service rooms in the late C19 extension;
* the interior of the late C19 extension retains fixtures and joinery which indicate the functions of the rooms and helps demonstrate how the building was used by its inhabitants.

Historic interest:

* as a former C17 rectory, extended and improved in the late-C19; demonstrating the rector's social status within the village.

History

A dwelling in the location of the building now known as The Old Rectory is recorded on the tithe map of 1845. The tithe apportionment lists the building as ‘Rectory, House, Garden and Buildings’ with the occupier recorded as The Reverend Thomas Henry Manning. The rectory would have served the church of St Peter, located approximately 70m to the north-east. From the evidence including the chamfered stone mullioned windows, the former rectory is likely to date to the C17. Between the publication of the 1884 and 1900 Ordnance Survey maps, the rectory was extended by addition of a range to its north side, the enlarged building having a roughly square plan. This extension provided additional reception rooms, bedrooms and service rooms. As part of these alterations, the majority of the C17 splat baluster stair was relocated into the new range, with a smaller section retained on the upper floor of the earlier building.

Conveyancing documents show that the house was divided into two dwellings between 1953 and 1955 with the C19 wing becoming known as Parish House. Other alterations were made in the C20 including the installation of timber porches to both dwellings and the erection of a lean-to garden room on the north elevation of Parish House.

Details

THE OLD RECTORY

MATERIALS: constructed of limestone with ironstone dressings, some areas of timber framing. Artificial slate roof.

EXTERIOR: A linear plan with the principal, south, elevation of three bays and two principal storeys above a basement with the entrance in the middle bay above a flight of seven steps and under a C20 canopy supported by timber posts. The steps have a C19 wrought iron wreathed handrail and balusters. To either side, at basement level, are two earlier C17 chamfered stone mullioned windows which are partly subterranean and are now partially blocked. At ground floor, either side, is a window opening under a stone lintel, with horned, single-plate sashes with side lights. At first floor, the window openings match these but retain their glazing bars with central sashes of six over six and the side lights of one over one. Above the entrance is a horned, six over six sash window. At attic level are two dormer windows. At each end of the gabled roof are stone chimneystacks. The gables have stone kneelers supporting coped verges.

The east elevation is blind with the exception of a blocked C17 window at attic level. The window has a stone architrave and projecting hood mould above. The west gable end features small openings at ground and first floor with C20 timber casements. There is a plank timber door to access the basement.

INTERIOR: two principal rooms on the ground and upper floors west and east of a central hall. The west room on the ground floor has a large inglenook fireplace on the west wall, with large timber bressummer. The east room has deep skirting boards and an arched niche within the north wall. Boxed-in beams run west to east across the ground floor. The stair is at the centre of the plan and has a mid-C20 timber rail between ground and first floor but a section of the C17 splat baluster stair survives between the first and second floors.

On the first and second floors timber framing is visible between the bays with exposed purlins running at attic level. The first-floor east room has a chamfered ceiling beam. In the west room, a blocked doorway (now a cupboard) and step remain visible, which would have accessed the late C19 north extension.

At attic level, a C19 fireplace survives at the east end, with cast iron grate. The building’s timber trusses with trenched purlins are visible between the rooms.


PARISH HOUSE

MATERIALS: brick, with ironstone dressings but the east elevation limestone to match the earlier dwelling. Slate roof.

PLAN: roughly square, the principal entrance now on the north elevation.

EXTERIOR: the range is under a hipped slate roof and has two brick stacks to either side of the roof ridge. The north elevation, in English Garden Wall bond, has the principal entrance, off-centre under an ironstone lintel. Either side at ground floor is a timber, horned sash window with slim glazing bars. Above are three further openings with horned sashes, the east end window is two over two with the others being one over one.

The west elevation to the north end has a large window opening at ground floor under an ironstone segmental arch, containing a timber sash of two over two with side lights. To the south are timber glazed doors. At first floor there are two further openings under ironstone lintels, both windows are two over two horned sashes.

INTERIOR: the ground floor has three principal rooms, with a hall at the centre of the plan containing the re-sited C17 open-well splat baluster stair. The room at the south-west corner has some surviving skirting and panelled timber shutters to the doors to the garden. A six-panelled door west of the fireplace (the surround of which has been removed) leads into the room to the north-west which has panelled timber shutters to the window on both the west and north walls with further panelling beneath the glazing and a moulded architrave. The fireplace in this room has been altered in the C20 and has some tiling; the surround has been removed. At the east end of the ground floor are the former kitchen and service spaces. Panelled doors and joinery survive throughout the ground floor, with plainer, four panelled doors within the functional spaces to the east.

The stair leads to a large landing at first floor, lit by a lantern with C20 glazing, giving access to four bedrooms. The largest, to the south-east, retains a cast iron fireplace, with timber surround. A door within the north wall leads to a smaller north-east room. The two bedrooms west of the landing have cast iron late-C19 fireplaces. Doors all have six panels, with plainer sides without moulding facing into the service areas of the house. C19 skirting boards and architraves are in situ within the landing and three smaller bedrooms, some sections survive in the largest room. At the north end of the landing, beneath a tall moulded arched opening, is a cloakroom, with adjacent bathroom to the west.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
234001
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
Northamptonshire Historic Environment Record, The Parish House, accessed 1 May 2026 from https://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MNN105961&resourceID=1044

Other
1884 Ordnance Survey Map.
1900 Ordnance Survey Map.

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building but not coloured blue on the map, are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act. However, any works to these structures which have the potential to affect the character of the listed building as a building of special architectural or historic interest may still require Listed Building Consent (LBC) and this is a matter for the Local Planning Authority (LPA) to determine.

Ordnance survey map of The Old Rectory and Parish House

Map

This map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2026 at 16:21:44.

Download a full scale map (PDF)
© Crown copyright [and database rights] 2026. OS AC0000815036. Use of this mapping is subject to Terms and Conditions.

End of official list entry

All text content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0 , except where otherwise stated. Any supplied maps are © Crown Copyright [and database rights] 2026 OS AC0000815036 and may not be reproduced without permission.

Previous Overview
Next Comments and Photos