CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1371888
Date first listed:
17-May-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371888.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:39:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Weston and Weedon
National Grid Reference:
SP 60160 46979

Details

WESTON AND WEEDON HIGH STREET SP64NW (North side) Weedon Lois Church of St. Mary (Formerly listed as Church of St. Peter and St. Mary)

GV II*

Church. c.1100 herringbone masonry in west wall of nave and lower part of the tower; early C13 remains in the chancel; the rest is C14 with a north aisle and vestry of 1849. Limestone ashlar, coursed squared limestone and irionstone, lead roof and C20 old tile roof to porch with south aisle extended beside chancel to form a chapel. East and south windows of chancel are Victorian. Blocked early C13 lancet in north wall, similar window in south wall, now forming inner wall of south-east chapel. East window of south-east chapel, Decorated, 3-lights with Reticulated tracery. All windows in south aisle Decorated. 2-lights with flowing tracery and ogee hoods with carved finials. Priest's doorway with ogee-headed arch in second bay from right. South porch also Decorated, has entrance arch with continous mouldings. Inner doorway similar with C19 double plank doors. Decorated west window to nave with Victorian tracery. Lower stage of tower Norman. Upper stage Perpendicular with castellated parapet and bell openings of 2-cusped lights. Interior: Decorated recess below east window of chancel, restored and some carving reset in C19. Has ogee hood with crockets and finial, flanked by crocketed pinnacles. K.Lewis suggests that this was the shrine of St. Lucien. Tower arches, C14, except that to the north which is C19. All have half octagonal responds and double chamfered arches, and hood with head stops. South-east chapel has C14 double-chamfered arch opening to the chancel and similar arch with large head stops to the south aisle. Decorated piscina recess with crocketed ogee hood in chapel. Piscina in south aisle also Decorated, has recess with crocketed hood and large head stops. Two C14 tomb recesses with continous mouldings in south aisle. Roofs C19. Font, Romanesque, circular with leaf carving and beaded lunettes. Stone pulpit, 1849, copied from the octaganal Perpendicular pulpit at Bloxham church. Wall paintings in south aisle, medieval, fragmentory, said to represent two seated figures. There was a priory at Weedon linked with the abbey at St. Lucien in Normandy. The present parish church was the priory church. The monks are said to have brought with them relics of their patron saint and there was a well dedicated to St. Lucien (also known as St. Loys) south of the church. The priory was closed down in 1414. Buildings of England: Northamptonshire; K. Lewis, Weedon St Lois, Priory and Parish, Reprint 1978, Brackley.).

Listing NGR: SP6016046979

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
234226
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lewis, K, Weedon St Lois Priory and Parish, (1978)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/14841/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].