CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1371900
Date first listed:
28-May-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1371900.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:24:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Newton Bromswold
National Grid Reference:
SP 99818 65858

Details

NEWTON BROMSWOLD CHURCH LANE SP96NE (East side) 8/100 Church of St. Peter 28/05/54 GV I

Church. Mid C13 to mid C14, restored 1879. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone with ashlar spire and lead and old plain tile roof. Nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light windows, that to left has square head. South door between window range has roll moulding. Steeply gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets and C19 finial. 3-light Decorated window with geometrical tracery. 2-stage clasping buttresses at corners. North elevation of chancel is of 2 bays with one 2-light Decorated window to right. 2-stage buttress between bays. South elevation of chancel is of 2 bays, one-window range, at lower level. 3-light window with 4-centred head and carved label stops to right. Gabled porch to left with double-chamfered outer arch and inner doorway with 4-centred head and hollow moulding. Single-light square-head windows to return wall. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapet and finial and central gargoyles in return walls. Tablet with cross keys and crown above outer door. Nave clerestory at upper level is of 3-window range of 2-light square-head windows. Shallow gabled roof with castellated parapet and cornice decorated with heads and rosettes. 2- and 3-stage buttresses abutting at junction of nave and chancel. South aisle is of 3-bays, 2-window range with 2- and 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads to centre and left bay. Central north doorway and C19 vestry door to right bay. 2-stage buttresses between bays. Lean-to roof with part castellated ashlar parapets. 3-light, Perpendicular, square-head, east window and 2 single-light square-head west windows. North nave clerestory of 3-window range similar to south. West tower is enclosed by aisle on north side. 3 stages with 2-stage angle buttresses. Tall west lancet in lower stage is set between buttresses and wall panel returns to tower face with chamfer above window. 2-light bell-chamber opening, with quatrefoils, to each face of upper stage. Castellated parapet with gargoyles at corners. Set back octagonal spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes with crocketted gablets. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade to north aisle of double-chamfered Perpendicular arcades with piers formed of 4 shafts and 4 hollows, one with leaf capitals. Double chamfered chancel arch and triple chamfered tower arch. Some original roof timbers in nave and north aisle with carved corbels. C19 chancel roof. Blank arcade to south wall of chancel forms piscina and sedilia with 5 seats. Octagonal font with Jacobean cover having crocketted angles. Perpendicular pulpit with panelled back. Piscina in north chapel with squint, to chancel, above. Stained glass: c.1410-1440 fragments in north aisle, north-east window depicting a Bishops head, and to 2 chancel windows. C19 east window probably by KeTipe, Monuments: William Hewet, Rector, died 1426 and Roger Hewet, Chaplain, died 1487, brass figures in floor of chancel. Thos. Bletsoe died 1710, inscription around earlier brass. Henry Lamb died 1727, inscribed tablet over pulpit.

Listing NGR: SP9981865858

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
232401
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09804/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].