BUXTON TOMB IN CHURCHYARD AT OLD CHURCH OF ST JAMES 40 METRES WEST OF TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1372615

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1983

Statutory Address: BUXTON TOMB IN CHURCHYARD AT OLD CHURCH OF ST JAMES 40 METRES WEST OF TOWER, ROYDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUXTON TOMB IN CHURCHYARD AT OLD CHURCH OF ST JAMES 40 METRES WEST OF TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1372615 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 22:22:25.

Location

Statutory Address: BUXTON TOMB IN CHURCHYARD AT OLD CHURCH OF ST JAMES 40 METRES WEST OF TOWER, ROYDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Stanstead Abbots

National Grid Reference: TL 39878 11043

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 31NW STANSTEAD ABBOTS ROYDON ROAD (north side) Tarbets Hill 5/49 Buxton tomb in churchyard at Old Church of St James 40 metres W of tower

GV II

Churchyard tomb with 3 similar monuments on top. 1881 probably by Waterhouse to Fowell Arthur Buxton, on 1905 to Rachel Jane Buxton, and 1908 to Thomas Fowell Buxton of Easneye both to same design as the first. The first in red granite, the other two in white marble. Austere design repeated in each: on a plain plinth a heavy deep ledger stone with an offset base carved with a running scallop design in low relief. The top of the ledger has a flat cross defined by simple sloped weathering S meeting in the angles. Alfred Waterhouse built Easneye for T F Buxton in 1868-9 together with a new church, school and many estate buildings.

Listing NGR: TL3987811043

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 355952

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing